From: Fritz Wuehler on
> Of course that's effectively two programs - a macro processor and an
> assembler. The PL/I preprocessor isn't tied to the language and can be
> used as a general-purpose macro processor.

The IBM assembler macro processor *is* part of the assembler and *is*
tightly bound to the language.

From: George Orwell on
> So? Shortcuts to keep from having to repeatedly type a bunch of code.
> Don't do anything you couldn't do by hand and you are not compelled to
> use them.

The same is true of any compiler.

https://www.mixmaster.it

From: Gib Bogle on
J. Clarke wrote:
> On 6/7/2010 8:35 AM, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:
>> Le Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:40:07 +0200, Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)yahoo.com>
>> a écrit:
>>> If you want to talk *really* old assemblers, look at SOAP. The
>>> hardware had no core, only drum memory,
>> What is a “drum memory” ?
>
> Are you serious?
>
> You remember those old Edison phonographs that used a wax cylinder? Well
> imagine that concept only with the cylinder coated with magnetic
> material instead of wax, and with a row (or several rows) of heads along
> its length. Has most of the properties of a fixed-head disk except the
> unequal track lengths.

You had drum memory? You were lucky. When I was young we had to tie knots in
pieces of string, by hand.
From: Wilson on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:24:00 -0400, Richard Harter <cri(a)tiac.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 06:40:07 -0400, Peter Flass
> <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> robin wrote:
>>> "Martin Krischik" <krischik(a)users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message

>>> That assembler was of a much later period than the one under
>>> discussion,
>>> namely, the 1940s-1950s.
>>>

>> If you want to talk *really* old assemblers, look at SOAP. The hardware
>> had no core, only drum memory, and each H/W instruction contained the
>> drum address of the next instruction to be executed. A big function of
>> the assembler was figuring out where to store the instructions on the
>> drum so that the next instruction was under the R/W head just as the
>> previous finished executing -- based on the instruction timings. Try
>> doing that by hand for a large program!
>
> It must be time to recall the story of Mel. I've got a copy on
> my website at http://home.tiac.net/~cri/2001/mel.html though I am
> sure that there must be other copies on the web.
>

> Richard Harter, cri(a)tiac.net
> http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
> Reality is real; words are real too.
> However words are not reality.

Loved your story of Mel. I worked with a couple of people like that. We
called them "bit diddlers" because "real programmers" always worked with
bits. None of fancy, dancy oct or hex stuff.

Unfortunantly, like you I had to upgrade one or two of their programs.
Even worse, at one time I belonged to their fraternity. It was mentally
chalanging either way, and a great game to see how good you were. In
other words, fun while it lasted. The arrival of Fortran and Cobol put an
end to the era of the bit diddler, although they made a small comeback
with the advent of the first microporcessors. (Now that I think about it,
I'll bet that somewhere there is a bit diddler trying to shoehorn a big
program into the small memmory of some kind of control computer.)

From: Gib Bogle on
Arthur Evans Jr wrote:

> BTW -- Don Knuth, who like me cut his programming teeth on the 650, once
> designed an integer-programming application to truly optimize
> instruction placement. I don't know if he ever actually programmed it,
> as he was sure it would take vastly more time to execute than it could
> ever save. I may misremember some of the details.

Classic!