From: Gene3 on
My computer (XP Home, an OEM 2002 version) came with .NET 1.0 installed, and
I had to do everything else.

Yes, I installed everything individually from .NET 1.0 through 3.5. I tried
a lot of ways, and that's the only way it would work for me. What finally
worked was to uninstall everything squeaky clean with the .NET removal tool,
then reinstall in order: 1.0, 1.0 SP1, 1.1, 1.1 SP1, 2.0, 2.0 SP1, 3.0, 3.0
SP1, 3.5, 3.5 SP1 - all of them downloaded directly from MS (nothing from
WU). Only after that process was complete did I let WU get involved.
Otherwise WU simply couldn't understand and returned errors/refusals to
install!

When I let Windows Update get involved, it was a revealing experience. It
redownloaded and reinstalled several of the items I'd already installed, and
in several stages/tiers. I believe it reinstalled some of the same things
2-3 times! The whole process took several hours but their almost
interminable series of patches finally came to an end.

I have tried to study and understand the .NET system but could find no clear
overall explanations. Part of the problem is the MS method of dropping
software after awhile. I believe their .NET 1.0 is already dropped and being
ignored, as is perhaps also .NET 1.1(?). However some of my software still
uses those .NET versions so I guess I need them.

As for installing only .NET 3.5 SP1 as the method to get .NET 2.0 thru 3.5
inclusive, I wasn't aware of that possibility. Perhaps I tried it, I can't
remember. I tried almost everything! :)
--
G3

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-04 2:20 p.m., Gene3 wrote:

> I thought this was the MS Windows Update group. Maybe I was mistaken - but
> if not here, then where? At least I'd like a reasonable response to my
> primary question... Why is Windows Update installing Firefox add-ons without
> any prior notice to user, especially buggy incompatible ones?

As PA Bear already pointed out, nobody here works for or represents Microsoft.
Therefore, we are unable to provide useful answers to questions about
Microsoft's motives for doing something.

If you need technical assistance to remove the update or prevent it from
reinstalling, we'll be happy to help.

... on the technical side, I will add a few corrections: strictly speaking
Windows Update is not installing the add-on. The add-on is a part of .NET,
which Windows Update will install, if you permit it to do so.

It should also be noted that the "uninstall" option Microsoft added was purely
cosmetic - there isn't really anything to uninstall, so if "uninstall" has
stopped working, "disable" is just as good.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-04 1:36 a.m., Gene3 wrote:

> In fact Mozilla has their own version of Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.2 which works OK as I can verify with Firefox 3.6. [...]

Could you provide a link for this? I'd like to investigate.

Harry.

From: Gene3 on
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know for sure where it came from,
just that it was installed by MS or WU without prior user knowledge and it
didn't work right. A lot of people seem to agree about those points, for
example:
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/562619
--
G3

From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"Gene3" <Gene3(a)not.valid> schrieb:

> Why is WU putting add-ons into Firefox?

WU doesn't while KB951847 does.

> It's Mozilla's responsibility to take care of their own browser,
> and I imagine they would prefer it that way.

And why the heck does/did Mozilla allow to "install" Add-Ons/Extensions
silently the way it has been used by KB951847?

Kuckuck:
http://blog.mozilla.com/security/2009/10/16/net-framework-assistant-blocked-to-disarm-security-vulnerability/

Just in case you may get me wrong:

No Update pushed via WU/AU *SHOULD* install any extensions/Add-Ons to
which 3rd-party software ever. I have had a "little" conversation with
some of the MS guys for nearly a half year in 2009 regarding KB951847, its
original size for Windows XP machines (280(!) MB in case you're running a
localized, non-english Windows XP version), why it has been (and still is)
pushed via WU/AU to Windows systems (with at least .NET Framework 2.0
installed) as an important update at all and why it installed the Fx
Extension (there hasn't been any word of that in any MSKB article at this
time).

I'm kind of sure, that these won't happen again with .NET Framework 4.0
which seems to be around the corner.

Anyhow, that's a decision MS (or to be specfic: the .NET Dev guys) made and
no one other than these are in the position to change that. You most likely
won't find a satisfying (if any) answer by a MS representative in this very
newsgroup related to KB951847 and the issue you mention.

Bye,
Freu"don't shoot the messenger"di
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6