From: Gene3 on
"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Gene3" <Gene3(a)not.valid> schrieb:
>
>> Why is WU putting add-ons into Firefox?
>
> WU doesn't while KB951847 does.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that KB951847 was the original source of
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 0.0.0. I only knew it came from
somewhere. But it's not the only source... I can manually uninstall
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 0.0.0 from Firefox, but as soon as I goto
WU it puts it back on via High Priority update KB963707. The only way to
prevent reinstallation is to disable KB963707 in WU.

Another responder in this thread said that's not really a problem, simply
disable it, but that's not how I look at it. If I'm not going to use
software, I want it off my machine! Perhaps I should want it(?) but don't
see any advantages.
--
G3

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-05 11:52 a.m., Gene3 wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that KB951847 was the original source of
> Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 0.0.0. I only knew it came from
> somewhere. But it's not the only source... I can manually uninstall
> Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 0.0.0 from Firefox, but as soon as I goto
> WU it puts it back on via High Priority update KB963707. The only way to
> prevent reinstallation is to disable KB963707 in WU.
>
> Another responder in this thread said that's not really a problem, simply
> disable it, but that's not how I look at it. If I'm not going to use
> software, I want it off my machine! [...]

The point is that the plug-in isn't a separate piece of software but an integral
part of .NET. There's no sensible way to uninstall it any more than I can
uninstall Firefox's history pane, even though I never use it.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: Gene3 on
"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry(a)scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
> On 2010-03-05 11:52 a.m., Gene3 wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that KB951847 was the original source
>> of
>> Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 0.0.0. I only knew it came from
>> somewhere. But it's not the only source... I can manually uninstall
>> Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 0.0.0 from Firefox, but as soon as I
>> goto
>> WU it puts it back on via High Priority update KB963707. The only way to
>> prevent reinstallation is to disable KB963707 in WU.
>>
>> Another responder in this thread said that's not really a problem, simply
>> disable it, but that's not how I look at it. If I'm not going to use
>> software, I want it off my machine! [...]
>
> The point is that the plug-in isn't a separate piece of software but an
> integral part of .NET. There's no sensible way to uninstall it any more
> than I can uninstall Firefox's history pane, even though I never use it.

That's debatable, but I'll let someone else. Maybe more important... The
presumption is that .NET is important/essential, but only a couple of my
optional/minor apps require it. So an alternate fix for me would be to use
the .NET removal tool and scrub my system clean of it. That may actually be
the best way because I fully expect it to become more and more buggy and a
perpetual problem. Maybe it's time to make the big bold leap to Linux too.

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-05 4:02 p.m., Gene3 wrote:

>> The point is that the plug-in isn't a separate piece of software but an
>> integral part of .NET. There's no sensible way to uninstall it any more
>> than I can uninstall Firefox's history pane, even though I never use it.
>
> That's debatable, but I'll let someone else.

From the user's point of view, I guess this is subjective. From an
architectural point of view - what the Windows installer sees - there is no
doubt that the plug-in is a part of .NET. Take your pick. :-)

> Maybe more important... The
> presumption is that .NET is important/essential, but only a couple of my
> optional/minor apps require it. So an alternate fix for me would be to use
> the .NET removal tool and scrub my system clean of it. [...]

Absolutely. If you can do without .NET, and don't need to upgrade to Vista or
Windows 7 any time soon, this is an entirely viable solution.

Harry.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Gene3 wrote:
> ...So an alternate fix for me would be to use
> the .NET removal tool and scrub my system clean of it.

Please let us know how you make out with that.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: windows update error message
Next: 0x800706BE NET service...