From: Randy Brick MacKenna on
I'm new to Linux and to openSUSE. One thing I noticed is that anytime
I download a RPM, it takes next to forever to install.

First, it spends about 5-10 minutes "resolving dependencies". Then it
spends another 5 minutes "preparing software". Then it installs the
software, sitting at 0% completion for another 5-10 minutes -- and
finally jumping to 99% completion, where it will usually sit for
another few minutes until it finally completes.

I mean, compared to a WinXP system, where downloading a .exe self-
installer and waiting about 10 seconds for it to complete, this is
excruciating.

I'm not installing complex stuff, either. Simple utilities, for
example. It seems that everything takes at least 15-20 minutes to
complete.

Is this normal?

-Randy

From: Pétur Ingi Egilsson on
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:04:06 -0700, Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

> I'm new to Linux and to openSUSE. One thing I noticed is that anytime I
> download a RPM, it takes next to forever to install.
>
> First, it spends about 5-10 minutes "resolving dependencies". Then it
> spends another 5 minutes "preparing software". Then it installs the
> software, sitting at 0% completion for another 5-10 minutes -- and
> finally jumping to 99% completion, where it will usually sit for another
> few minutes until it finally completes.
>
> I mean, compared to a WinXP system, where downloading a .exe self-
> installer and waiting about 10 seconds for it to complete, this is
> excruciating.
>
> I'm not installing complex stuff, either. Simple utilities, for
> example. It seems that everything takes at least 15-20 minutes to
> complete.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> -Randy

Hi Randy.

Certainly this is not normal if your system is > than the recommenced
hardware requirements.

How much RAM do you have?
What kind of processor?

From: Peter Köhlmann on
Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:

> I'm new to Linux and to openSUSE. One thing I noticed is that anytime
> I download a RPM, it takes next to forever to install.
>
> First, it spends about 5-10 minutes "resolving dependencies". Then it
> spends another 5 minutes "preparing software". Then it installs the
> software, sitting at 0% completion for another 5-10 minutes -- and
> finally jumping to 99% completion, where it will usually sit for
> another few minutes until it finally completes.
>
> I mean, compared to a WinXP system, where downloading a .exe self-
> installer and waiting about 10 seconds for it to complete, this is
> excruciating.
>
> I'm not installing complex stuff, either. Simple utilities, for
> example. It seems that everything takes at least 15-20 minutes to
> complete.
>
> Is this normal?

No, it is not.
You are off by a factor of about 100
--
Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

From: Randy Brick MacKenna on
On Sep 28, 8:42 pm, Pétur Ingi Egilsson <pe...(a)dk.is> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:04:06 -0700, Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
> > I'm new to Linux and to openSUSE. One thing I noticed is that anytime I
> > download a RPM, it takes next to forever to install.
>
> > First, it spends about 5-10 minutes "resolving dependencies". Then it
> > spends another 5 minutes "preparing software". Then it installs the
> > software, sitting at 0% completion for another 5-10 minutes -- and
> > finally jumping to 99% completion, where it will usually sit for another
> > few minutes until it finally completes.
>
> > I mean, compared to a WinXP system, where downloading a .exe self-
> > installer and waiting about 10 seconds for it to complete, this is
> > excruciating.
>
> > I'm not installing complex stuff, either. Simple utilities, for
> > example. It seems that everything takes at least 15-20 minutes to
> > complete.
>
> > Is this normal?
>
> > -Randy
>
> Hi Randy.
>
> Certainly this is not normal if your system is > than the recommenced
> hardware requirements.
>
> How much RAM do you have?
> What kind of processor?

It's a brand new system: AMD Athlon 2.4GhZ processor, 1GB memory.
Fresh download/install of openSUSE 10.2

Everything else on the system seems to run fine -- all the
applications seem pretty fast. It is just the execution of an RPM
that is very, very slow. I just installed the plugins for gkrellm --
it took about 20 minutes to complete.

If there is something wrong, what should I look at to try to fix?

Thanks,
Randy

From: Randy Brick MacKenna on
On Sep 28, 8:43 pm, Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlm...(a)t-online.de>
wrote:
> Randy Brick MacKenna wrote:
> > I'm new to Linux and to openSUSE. One thing I noticed is that anytime
> > I download a RPM, it takes next to forever to install.
>
> > First, it spends about 5-10 minutes "resolving dependencies". Then it
> > spends another 5 minutes "preparing software". Then it installs the
> > software, sitting at 0% completion for another 5-10 minutes -- and
> > finally jumping to 99% completion, where it will usually sit for
> > another few minutes until it finally completes.
>
> > I mean, compared to a WinXP system, where downloading a .exe self-
> > installer and waiting about 10 seconds for it to complete, this is
> > excruciating.
>
> > I'm not installing complex stuff, either. Simple utilities, for
> > example. It seems that everything takes at least 15-20 minutes to
> > complete.
>
> > Is this normal?
>
> No, it is not.
> You are off by a factor of about 100
> --
> Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

I should also mention -- when I download/execute an RPM file, the
"software installer" tool is invoked (which is part of YaST, I am
assuming?)

I have not tried using a bash command to invoke the install of the
RPM, maybe I should do that instead?

There is also this "zen software" daemon thing running, which is part
of all of this, I think? -- could that be contributing to the overall
slowness of installing software?

I'd really like to figure out how to speed this installing software
process up. I can only install a couple of things an evening,
otherwise I run out of time just waiting for the thing to finish (!)

Thanks,
Randy