From: Chris on
Hello all,

I have installed openSUSE 10.3 and upgraded to Xorg 7.3. I have an SGI
1600SW LCD monitor attached to the computer (IWILL P4 2.8GHz).

My problem is with Xorg or RandR or KDE, not sure which. The problem I an
having is that X or KDE or both are not using the resolution I want
(1600x1024). Instead, X and KDE are starting up at 1024x768. I have
manually edited the xorg.conf. If I remove all but the 1600x1024 modelines,
the LCD monitor says the signal is out of range. The strange thing is, if I
let KDE start up as it wants (in 1024x768), then use krandrtray and select
1600x1024 all is good! I tried to use the Control Centre, but it says that
there are no config options since I am using RandR > 1.2 ???

Anyone have this problem or one similar? Anyone know what I can do to for X
and KDE to use 1600x1024.

Thanks,

--
Chris
From: kasi on
Chris wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have installed openSUSE 10.3 and upgraded to Xorg 7.3. I have an SGI
> 1600SW LCD monitor attached to the computer (IWILL P4 2.8GHz).
>
> My problem is with Xorg or RandR or KDE, not sure which. The problem I an
> having is that X or KDE or both are not using the resolution I want
> (1600x1024). Instead, X and KDE are starting up at 1024x768. I have
> manually edited the xorg.conf. If I remove all but the 1600x1024
> modelines, the LCD monitor says the signal is out of range. The strange
> thing is, if I let KDE start up as it wants (in 1024x768), then use
> krandrtray and select 1600x1024 all is good! I tried to use the Control
> Centre, but it says that there are no config options since I am using
> RandR > 1.2 ???
>
> Anyone have this problem or one similar? Anyone know what I can do to for
> X and KDE to use 1600x1024.
>
> Thanks,

I have managed to use this monitor at 1600x1024 with 10.0 after many tries.
But the result was not very good. There were annoying failures as miscolored
lines wandering from top to bottom and unsharpen fonts.
So I bought a new TFT.
I have left in mind that I changed manual the size of the display and the
refresh rate in sax2.

Kasi

From: sebas22 on
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:51:08 GMT, Chris
<chris(a)thisisnotanemailaddress.ca> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have installed openSUSE 10.3 and upgraded to Xorg 7.3. I have an SGI
>1600SW LCD monitor attached to the computer (IWILL P4 2.8GHz).
>
>My problem is with Xorg or RandR or KDE, not sure which. The problem I an
>having is that X or KDE or both are not using the resolution I want
>(1600x1024).

I've seen this at http://sidux.com/, maybe it your pb is related to
the same thing :

<QUOTE>
Fixed: Nvidia Problems with Xserver
Posted by : devil on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:51 AM

With todays dist-upgrade Xserver-xorg-core 1.4.1~git20071117-1 gets
installed.
Due to missing XRandR 1.2 compatibility Nvidia cards may show
problems.
Resolution may be limited to 640x480 with nvidia and with nv.
A workaround could be to add 2 lines to Section "Device" in xorg.conf:

Option "UseEDID" "1"
Option "UseEdidFreqs" "1"

and then run fix-res again to get your desired resolution.
The problem has a bugreport and is supposed to be fixed tomorrow.

EDIT: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.4.1~git20071119-1 is available on the
servers and solves the issue.
<END QUOTE>

If it's the case, maybe an upgrade of xorg 7.3 will solve it.

--
Regards,
Sebas