From: John Hill on
About six months ago I installed a wireless ADSL modem at the behest of
my ISP, who were unwilling to investigate my abysmal broadband speed
unless I used their modem.

It worked perfectly satisfactorily until last Saturday, when the
transfer rate dropped to almost nothing. On Sunday I lost connection and
could not restore it. In the evening it came back of its own accord, and
since then it has been as normal.

My wife has an ethernet connection to the same modem and her broadband
speed has not been affected.

What can cause a wireless connection to splutter in this way? Nothing IN
the house has been changed. Could it be interference from some other
wireless connection in the neighbourhood? Or interference from some
other source?

And if it happens again, is there anything I can do about it?

For the record, if I <option>click the Airport icon in the menu bar, it
tells me that it is using Channel 11 (2.4 GHz) and the Transmit Rate is
54 (whatever that means).

John.

--
Please reply to john at yclept dot wanadoo dot co dot uk.
From: T i m on
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:32:36 +0000, nemo(a)erewhon.invalid (John Hill)
wrote:

>My wife has an ethernet connection to the same modem and her broadband
>speed has not been affected.

If it's to the same box we are talking router here then really?

>What can cause a wireless connection to splutter in this way? Nothing IN
>the house has been changed. Could it be interference from some other
>wireless connection in the neighbourhood?

Yes.

> Or interference from some
>other source?

Yes, microwaves, car / house alarms, TV 'senders', remote 'HiFi'
speakers, other radio stuff that's either near, loud or on a harmonic
etc.

>And if it happens again, is there anything I can do about it?

Sometimes, although that may involve an Ethernet cable or Ethernet
_over_mains or other WiFi solution (802.11n).

>For the record, if I <option>click the Airport icon in the menu bar, it
>tells me that it is using Channel 11 (2.4 GHz) and the Transmit Rate is
>54 (whatever that means).

The WiFi radio band is broken up into a rage of 'channels', just like
many commercial radio / TV broadcasts or Radio Control models etc.

The basic range on frequencies in the UK are allocated 1 to 13 for
easy use (and not the same range in all countries) and the ideal
solution is to be on your own unique frequency for your local hood and
better a few channels away from anyone else.

Many routers never get changed from default and so certain channels
often become over-used, like 1, 6, 11 etc.

The way to try to improve your own situation (it could change at any
time of course) is to download a WiFi sniffer, possibly:

http://www.macstumbler.com/

then turn your router off and run the sniffer to show you all the
channels that are being used locally. Pick one that is the lest used
(or unused) or if there isn't a completely spare slot, one with the
lowest signal strength (suggesting it's further away) and ideally a
couple away from any other channel.

Then you connect to your router (look for your default gateway I/P
address in your WiFi info when it's connected) and set your WiFi
channel to your chosen one. Even if there isn't a completely free one
avoiding the common ones or simply just changing the channel to
something else may help. For now.

The transmit rate you mention is the std speed (Mbps) for the 802.11g
standard (and suggests you have a reasonable actual connection between
your Mac and your router.

Cheers, T i m
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
wrote:

>What can cause a wireless connection to splutter in this way? Nothing IN
>the house has been changed. Could it be interference from some other
>wireless connection in the neighbourhood? Or interference from some
>other source?

Yes to both - it will almost certainly be an environmental effect.

Possibly a neighbour got a new wifi box (probably an extended range
one with strong signal) and set it to channel 11 also, swamping yours.
Then later tried another channel, since you'd be interfering with them
too. 802.11g isn't much good at dealing with that - 802.11n is better,
but it'll still be perturbed.

Microwaves and no doubt heavier equipment can molest a wifi signal
too, but it's unlikely a neighbour had their microwave (or portable
electric furnace...) on all day.

If it's gone back to normal, don't worry about it too much.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Some people have years of experience.
Some have one year's experience several times.
From: John Hill on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:32:36 +0000, nemo(a)erewhon.invalid (John Hill)
> wrote:
>
> >What can cause a wireless connection to splutter in this way? Nothing IN
> >the house has been changed. Could it be interference from some other
> >wireless connection in the neighbourhood? Or interference from some
> >other source?
>
> Yes to both - it will almost certainly be an environmental effect.
>
> Possibly a neighbour got a new wifi box (probably an extended range
> one with strong signal) and set it to channel 11 also, swamping yours.
> Then later tried another channel, since you'd be interfering with them
> too. 802.11g isn't much good at dealing with that - 802.11n is better,
> but it'll still be perturbed.
>
> Microwaves and no doubt heavier equipment can molest a wifi signal
> too, but it's unlikely a neighbour had their microwave (or portable
> electric furnace...) on all day.
>
> If it's gone back to normal, don't worry about it too much.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Thanks to you and Tim for this helpful advice. I have downloaded
MacStumbler, but at the moment all is well and "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it". So I will hold it, and your messages, in reserve until the
problem resurfaces.

John.

--
Please reply to john at yclept dot wanadoo dot co dot uk.
From: John Hill on
John Hill <nemo(a)erewhon.invalid> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:32:36 +0000, nemo(a)erewhon.invalid (John Hill)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >What can cause a wireless connection to splutter in this way? Nothing IN
> > >the house has been changed. Could it be interference from some other
> > >wireless connection in the neighbourhood? Or interference from some
> > >other source?
> >
> > Yes to both - it will almost certainly be an environmental effect.
> >
> > Possibly a neighbour got a new wifi box (probably an extended range
> > one with strong signal) and set it to channel 11 also, swamping yours.
> > Then later tried another channel, since you'd be interfering with them
> > too. 802.11g isn't much good at dealing with that - 802.11n is better,
> > but it'll still be perturbed.
> >
> > Microwaves and no doubt heavier equipment can molest a wifi signal
> > too, but it's unlikely a neighbour had their microwave (or portable
> > electric furnace...) on all day.
> >
> > If it's gone back to normal, don't worry about it too much.
> >
> > Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Thanks to you and Tim for this helpful advice. I have downloaded
> MacStumbler, but at the moment all is well and "If it ain't broke, don't
> fix it". So I will hold it, and your messages, in reserve until the
> problem resurfaces.
>
> John.

As a quick follow-up, I see that my WiFi includes under Channel an
"Automatic" setting, which claims to use the best available. Would it be
a wise move to select this?

John.
--
Please reply to john at yclept dot wanadoo dot co dot uk.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: White MacBook case
Next: iPhone lost itunes content