From: Frank Martin on

"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Apr 13, 6:35 pm, "Frank Martin" <f...(a)general.com.au>
wrote:
> Thank you. I have CCleaner and I switched this off for two
> days as a test.
>
> Sure enough, the extra restore points are now being added.
>
> So is was CCleaner V2.25. How do I adjust CCleaner to
> prevent it trashing past restore points?
>
> Please help, Frank

Well, your CCleaner version is old - 2.30 is out now.

Looking at their forums, some users reported this phenomenon
and the
CCleaner people said "no way!" (unless you manually did it).

One user said he narrowed it down and figured out that if he
used
CCleaner to empty the Recycle Bin, it took the RPs with it.
Unconfirmed, but that guy is convinced.

I just used CCleaner 2.30 and emptied my RB and my RPs were
still
there.

I put some things in my RB and set up CCleaner to run on
startup,
rebooted and it did run/cleanup and my RPs will still there.

In the past few days, some version of ZoneAlarm seems to be
behind all
but the last RP being deleted too, so do you also have ZA
installed?

It could be CCleaner, but if I were you I would:

Get on the current version of CCleaner
Configure CCleaner to run on startup if that is your desire
Make some RPs by hand so you don't have to wait days to
test.
Reboot
See if the RPs were deleted

I imagine the CCleaner people would like to hear about your
issue in
their forums if you can reproduce it consistently on their
latest
version.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/help

Thanks, I have been searching about this and CCleaer *does*
trash the System Restore (earlier than one day) on
principle, because these can contain sensitive data.

Evidently one must go to the Options|Exclude in the CCleaner
area and add the folder/file one wishes to be left alone.
For the System Restore this appears to be
C:\System Volume Information\*.*

I am testing this at the moment. Can you tell me if
C:\System Volume Information\*.* completely defines the
System Restore?

Frank...

From: Frank Martin on

On Apr 14, 7:34 am, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 6:35 pm, "Frank Martin" <f...(a)general.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you. I have CCleaner and I switched this off for
> > two
> > days as a test.
>
> > Sure enough, the extra restore points are now being
> > added.
>
> > So is was CCleaner V2.25. How do I adjust CCleaner to
> > prevent it trashing past restore points?
>
> > Please help, Frank
>
> Well, your CCleaner version is old - 2.30 is out now.
>
> Looking at their forums, some users reported this
> phenomenon and the
> CCleaner people said "no way!" (unless you manually did
> it).
>
> One user said he narrowed it down and figured out that if
> he used
> CCleaner to empty the Recycle Bin, it took the RPs with
> it.
> Unconfirmed, but that guy is convinced.
>
> I just used CCleaner 2.30 and emptied my RB and my RPs
> were still
> there.
>
> I put some things in my RB and set up CCleaner to run on
> startup,
> rebooted and it did run/cleanup and my RPs will still
> there.
>
> In the past few days, some version of ZoneAlarm seems to
> be behind all
> but the last RP being deleted too, so do you also have ZA
> installed?
>
> It could be CCleaner, but if I were you I would:
>
> Get on the current version of CCleaner
> Configure CCleaner to run on startup if that is your
> desire
> Make some RPs by hand so you don't have to wait days to
> test.
> Reboot
> See if the RPs were deleted
>
> I imagine the CCleaner people would like to hear about
> your issue in
> their forums if you can reproduce it consistently on their
> latest
> version.
>
> http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/help

Oh yeah - we would like to hear what you discover too.

All I have is Malwarebytes.