From: Frank Martin on
I have WindowsXP SP3,

For some reason I get only one restore point with System
Restore.

I have the following drive settings:

C: 6%
D: 4%
E 4%

In the past I could automatically get several day's restore
points. Why do I get only one now?

Please help, Frank

From: Jose on
On Apr 11, 9:32 pm, "Frank Martin" <f...(a)general.com.au> wrote:
> I have WindowsXP SP3,
>
> For some reason I get only one restore point with System
> Restore.
>
> I have the following drive settings:
>
> C: 6%
> D: 4%
> E  4%
>
> In the past I could automatically get several day's restore
> points.   Why do I get only one now?
>
> Please help, Frank

Are you able to ascertain that the one RP you have is the most recent?

If you have chosen to use the XP Disk Cleanup or some third party
application like CCleaner with certain options, all but the last RP
will be deleted if you choose to do so. Any of that sound familiar?

You can test your SR by making a manual RP, reboot, check to be sure a
new RP was created in the calendar and then wait at least 24 hours and
see if XP will make a RP on it's own when the time to create a new RP
rolls around. XP would like to create a new RP every 24 hours, but
may not do so automatically for a number of reasons - which, I can
explain why not later if needed. Some system configuration changes or
software installations will also force a new RP before the 24 hours
expires. So, you can have days and days go by with no RPs and some
days with several, but nothing should defy explanation when it comes
to RPs.

If you are even remotely suspicious about your SR, then I would do
this:

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.
From: Unknown on
Many posts on this newsgroup indicate Zone Alarm is responsible. Do you have
ZA installed?

From: Bob I on
And Symantec can interfere

From: Lem on
Frank Martin wrote:
> I have WindowsXP SP3,
>

> For some reason I get only one restore point with System
> Restore.
>
> I have the following drive settings:
>
> C: 6%
> D: 4%
> E 4%
>
> In the past I could automatically get several day's restore
> points. Why do I get only one now?
>
> Please help, Frank

1. The percentages are not as important as the actual disk space
allocated to System Restore. Try to have about 1 GB.
2. You only need System Restore on the system partition, which
presumably is C:. Turn it off on D: and E:
3. Under some circumstances (which I can't recall at the moment), System
Restore points become very large, which will limit the number of restore
points that fit into the space allocated.
4. For everything you wanted to know about System Restore, and more, see
http://bertk.mvps.org/

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: