From: Tommy Pham on
Here's another analogy. For those of us in the field long enough, we
see the power of AJAX and we use it in one form or another. For the
newbies, they have yet to see it's power nor the requirements to
implement it. Threading is similar to that. It's not for everybody.
But for those of us that are ready and have need for it, we can
implement it IF IT'S THERE, which is the point of OP, although the way
he put it isn't exactly welcoming... perhaps he had a very long week
and it's just starting too.
From: Per Jessen on
Daevid Vincent wrote:

> I've been using PHP for a decade or so (since PHP/FI) and love it. Th=
> one problem that seems to always keep coming back on enterprise level=

> projects is the lack of threading. This always means we have to write=

> some back-end code in Ruby or Java or C/C++ and some hacky database
> layer or DBUS or something to communicate with PHP.

Use the right tool for the right job - PHP is a scripting/interpreted
language, it does not need threading (IMO of course).

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (9.4=C2=B0C)

From: jose javier parra sanchez on
Maybe that's what you are looking for : http://nanoserv.si.kz/

Not done with threads, but who cares ?
From: Rene Veerman on
hmm i use scripted languages because i prefer and they allow/force
simple-to-read-code.

but that does not mean a scripted language can't evolve to expose
"complicated" code constructs like multi-threading and daemon-building
in a simple manner too.

i'd prefer it if a language like PHP can be used for other things
besides webserving too.
i also think at least some web-apps could benefit from multi-threading
and daemon-building.. particularly web-apps that deal with real-time
dataflows.

and btw, the distinction between compiled and scripted is not a hard
one anymore eh.. not with zend and that facebook php-compiler out
there.

From: David McGlone on
> > > You could implement the features yourself.
> >
> > Damn, Mr McGlone beat me to it :)
>
> That's such a STUPID retort I'm so sick of hearing from the FOSS community.
> "build it yourself uh huhh uhhh huhhh". Obviously I'm not a low-level C/C++
> coder -- that's WHY I use PHP. :-\ So, you just stay content with the
> status quo. I will continue to ask for features to enhance the language.
> They may fall on deaf ears, but sometimes... just sometimes... The squeaky
> wheel get's the grease.

I didn't intend for my reply to sound nasty. After reading your OP, I see that
you are a very experienced programmer and I meant for it as a suggestion.

--
Blessings
David M.