From: Lester Caine on
Per Jessen wrote:
> Teus Benschop wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 19:08 -0700, Tommy Pham wrote:
>>> The response time, max 5 seconds, will be tested on local gigabit LAN
>>> to ensure the adequate response (optimized DB& code& proper
>>> hardware) without worrying about users' connection limit and site's
>>> upload bandwidth limit (which can easily rectify). Then thereafter
>>> will be doing stress test of about 10 concurrent users. As for the
>>> major queries, that's where threads come in, IMO, because those
>>> queries depend on 1 primary parameter (category ID) and 1 secondary
>>> parameter (language ID). This particular site starts with 500
>>> products about 15 categories, without many of those mentioned
>>> filters, later grew to its current state.
>>>
>> The bottle neck looking at speed in this example seems to be the
>> database backend, not PHP. What would be needed is a fast database,
>> and SQL queries optimized for speed. Teus.
>
> +1.

Seconded ...
My own servers spend 75% of the time in firebird and 25% in apache/php, and when
I need some extra performance I just add a second machine for firebird with a
lot more memory. PHP is not the bottleneck and while the computer is 99.5% idle
anyway I don't see any need for threading any time soon.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
From: Lester Caine on
Rene Veerman wrote:
> and btw, complexity of design can go up considerably when you have to
> deal with more than 1 php and 1 mysql server, because the language
> forces inefficient constructs _and_ is "stuck on 1 server"....

Switch to a real database?
MySQL still needs to grow up as well :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
From: Rene Veerman on
jeez dude, you're assuming that all software problems are best solved
by a sql solution.
imo, they're NOT. example? any realtime system with real work to do.

please stop pretending you know the proper design of all software that
is made or yet has to be made.
both a ya.

From: Per Jessen on
Rene Veerman wrote:

> stop bashing the people who DO have a use for threading and other
> advanced concepts eh.

I'm not bashing anyone.=20

> just because you don't have a use for it, it shouldn't be included?!
> kinda arrogant.

Feel free to think so - I never said I don't have a use for it
(threading), I just said thread-support doesn't belong in PHP.=20

> also kinda arrogant: how do you know the guy needing threading is not=

> working on projects many times as complex as your own projects??

I don't care what he is working on. It has absolutely no bearing on the=

conversation. =20

Please stop top-posting, it's not good netiquette.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (8.4=C2=B0C)

From: Rene Veerman on
yes you are bashing them (me included) imo

you say threading support doesnt belong in php; with that you're
determining what i may and may not do, even if i have given you good
reasons for it, that you chose to ignore.

i hope the php developers have more sense than you. i'm done
discussing this with you.

and i like top-posting. a lot.

you may wanna stop trying to change the ways of others, especially if
they don't interfere with what YOU may and may not do.