From: Tommy Pham on
What I find funny is that one of opponents of PHP threads earlier
mentioned that how silly it would be to be using C in a web app. Now
I hear people mentioning C when they need "productivity" or "speed"...
From: Per Jessen on
Rene Veerman wrote:

> unless the actual php development team would like to weigh in on this=

> matter of course.
>=20
> yes, i do consider it that important.
>=20
> these nay-sayers usually also lobby the dev-team to such extent that
> these features would actually not make it into php.

I for one will not be lobbying anyone in that regard. I've stated my
opinion and argued it, that's all.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (11.2=C2=B0C)

From: Per Jessen on
Stuart Dallas wrote:

> I love the way you call us nay-sayers like it's supposed to be an
> insult. I follow the KISS principle to the nth, and as such threading=

> in PHP doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm yet to come across a
> problem I couldn't solve with pure PHP, but when the need arises I
> have no issue mixing in a little C++, Python, Ruby, or whatever, to
> meet my performance and scalability goals. I go to the mountain, I
> don't sit there complaining that the mountain ain't moving in my
> direction!

+1.

From: Per Jessen on
Tommy Pham wrote:

> What I find funny is that one of opponents of PHP threads earlier
> mentioned that how silly it would be to be using C in a web app. Now=

> I hear people mentioning C when they need "productivity" or "speed"..=
..
>=20

I think I was the one to mention the latter, but as I started out
saying, and as others have said too, it's about the right tool for the
right job. When choosing a tool, there are a number of factors to
consider - developer productivity, available skills, future
maintenance, performance, scalability, portability, parallelism,
performance etcetera. =20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (11.4=C2=B0C)

From: Tommy Pham on
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
> Tommy Pham wrote:
>
>> What I find funny is that one of opponents of PHP threads earlier
>> mentioned that how silly it would be to be using C in a web app.  Now
>> I hear people mentioning C when they need "productivity" or "speed"...
>>

> I think I was the one to mention the latter, but as I started out
> saying, and as others have said too, it's about the right tool for the
> right job.  When choosing a tool, there are a number of factors to
> consider - developer productivity, available skills, future
> maintenance, performance, scalability, portability, parallelism,
> performance etcetera.

Funny you should mention all that. Let's say that you're longer with
that company, either by direct employment or contract consultant.
You've implemented C because you need 'thread'. Now your replacement
comes in and has no clue about C even though your replacement is a PHP
guru. How much headache is maintenance gonna be? Scalability?
Portability? wow....