From: Robert Cummings on
Rene Veerman wrote:
> php is not a hammer, its a programming language.

It's hard to discuss anything with someone who doesn't comprehend a
metaphor.

> one that i feel needs to stay ahead of the computing trend if it is to
> be considered a language for large scale applications.

Personification of PHP doesn't make your argument any more salient. PHP
isn't trying to stay ahead of anything. People are using it to solve
problems, not to meet some phantom ideal of a "computing trend" threshold.

> but you nay-sayers here have convinced me; i'll be shopping for
> another language with which to serve my applications and the weboutput
> they produce..
>
> thanks for opening my eyes and telling to abandon ship in time.

Obviously we didn't open your eyes.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Robert Cummings on
Rene Veerman wrote:
> unless the actual php development team would like to weigh in on this
> matter of course.

Wrong list. Subscribe to internals.

> yes, i do consider it that important.

> these nay-sayers usually also lobby the dev-team to such extent that
> these features would actually not make it into php.

It's a debate. The dev team consider proposals and weigh in on the
merits. I was a proponent for goto support during the development of PHP
5. We now have it. If you arguments are valid and there's no technical
issue preventing it, and there's someone with time and skill to created
the functionality, then it will happen. If not then it won't. I've seen
many things added to PHP and I've watched and participated in the
threads on internals that have lead to many new features. This is open
source, opinions matter, but personal attacks and poor argument do not
really make the cut.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Robert Cummings on
From: Robert Cummings on
Tommy Pham wrote:
> What I find funny is that one of opponents of PHP threads earlier
> mentioned that how silly it would be to be using C in a web app. Now
> I hear people mentioning C when they need "productivity" or "speed"...

PHP has excellent support for extensions. I've written several C
extensions int he past for my own personal use. Even facebook punts some
stuff to C extensions that they just plug right into PHP.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Jochem Maas on
Op 3/24/10 10:40 AM, Rene Veerman schreef:
> I subscribe to this list to share tips on software designs.
>
> Getting and keeping your respect i'm not even interested in.
>
> I'm interested in the quality of your tips on problems i post, as tips can
> lead faster to products, leads to money, leads to my personal freedom and
> options in life.
> Respect cannot be used to buy bread and butter.

Someone who respects you will buy you a sandwich if you need it.

But seemingly you're only interested in leveraging other peoples time and
experience to further your own career, good luck with that around here.