From: Rene Veerman on
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:

> Rene Veerman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm certianly not right all the time. once I thought I was but I was
>>> wrong.

>>> I think you'll find when you get even close to the size of facebook,
>>> everything you think you know now about how it all stays running will be
>>> thrown out the window. But then, I'm not a fan of early optimization of
>>> this
>>> magnitude. A good design is usually flexible enough to allow redesign
>>> without recoding everything. Baby steps to the moon IMHO.
>>>
>> yea, well, if i'm going to keep using php i need a path towards
>> scalability, for this particular problem.
>>
>> i'd like to code the kinds of applications with big dataflows.
>> call me a golddigger all you want, it's what i am ;)
>> just not in the sexual sense hehe..
>>
>>> Your tools are up to date. Threading is in the future if at all... it's
>>> certainly not in the present.
>>
>> True, lets _keep_ 'm up-to-date, please.
>
> It is up to date. You mean make it have all the features you want. PHP is by
> it's very existence and ongoing development "up to date".

yet you seem to oppose said development into the threading/shared-mem corner.

without giving an alternative way to implement my previous case
description (facebook/twitter level commenting to graphics-heavy pages
at busy times).

and that's just 1 case description. hundreds if not thousands more can
be thought up or simply the best solution in the near future.
From: Robert Cummings on

Rene Veerman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Rene Veerman wrote:

>>> yea, well, if i'm going to keep using php i need a path towards
>>> scalability, for this particular problem.
>>>
>>> i'd like to code the kinds of applications with big dataflows.
>>> call me a golddigger all you want, it's what i am ;)
>>> just not in the sexual sense hehe..

>>> True, lets _keep_ 'm up-to-date, please.
>> It is up to date. You mean make it have all the features you want. PHP is by
>> it's very existence and ongoing development "up to date".
>>

> yet you seem to oppose said development into the threading/shared-mem corner.
>
> without giving an alternative way to implement my previous case
> description (facebook/twitter level commenting to graphics-heavy pages
> at busy times).
>
> and that's just 1 case description. hundreds if not thousands more can
> be thought up or simply the best solution in the near future.

I'm not sure why you think I'm opposed to such development. I've already
told you to subscribe to internals or write your own patch. Do you need
me to use a larger font?

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Sancar Saran on
On Wednesday 24 March 2010 21:42:53 Tommy Pham wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Sancar Saran <sancar.saran(a)evodot.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 March 2010 03:17:56 Tommy Pham wrote:
> >> Let's go back to my 1st e-commerce example. The manufacturers list is
> >> about 3,700. The categories is about about 2,400. The products list
> >> is right now at 500,000 and expected to be around 750,000. The site
> >> is only in English. The store owner wants to expand and be I18n:
> >> Chinese, French, German, Korean, Spanish. You see how big and complex
> >> that database gets? The store owners want to have this happens when a
> >> customer clicks on a category:
> >>
> >> * show all subcategories for that category, if any
> >> * show all products for that category, if any,
> >> * show all manufacturers, used as filtering, for that category and
> >> subcategories * show price range filter for that category
> >> * show features & specifications filter for that category
> >> * show 10 top sellers for that category and related subcategories
> >> * the shopper can then select/deselect any of those filters and
> >> ability to sort by manufacturers, prices, user rating, popularity
> >> (purchased quantity)
> >> * have the ability to switch to another language translation on the fly
> >> * from the moment the shopper click on a link, the response time (when
> >> web browser saids "Done" in the status bar) is 5 seconds or less.
> >> Preferably 2-3 seconds. Will be using stopwatch for the timer.
> >>
> >> Now show me a website that meets those requirements and uses PHP, I'll
> >> be glad to support your argument about PHP w/o threads :) BTW, this
> >> is not even enterprise requirement. I may have another possible
> >> project where # products is over 10 million easily. With similar
> >> requirements when the user click on category. Do you think this site,
> >> which currently isn't, can run on PHP?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Tommy
> >
> > If you design and code correctly. Yes.
> >

> > If you want to use someting alredy. Try TYPO3.
> >
> > PS: Your arguments are something about implementation not something about
> > platform abilities. You can do this things any server side programming
> > with enough hardware.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Sancar
>
> Platform abilities = PHP with/without threads.
> Implementation = If PHP has threads, how do I implement it. If not,
> what work around / hacks do I need to do.

Please forgive my low ability on English and you sound like.

"I can drive a car, if it has a diesel engine and we want Ferrari for our
need. Is there any way to fit a diesel engine in Ferrari ?"

Your problem isn't php, You problem is your way to think...

You are trying to bend php to fit your way of the building web sites.

I'm sorry, things does not work like that.

You are trying to represent your business logic as "ENTERPRISE SOFTWARE
STANDARTS".

I'm sorry, it wont !

Even with provocative subject, it still business logic at large.

On Large Web sites, Site has own standards which enterprise must have to
obey.. (like Facebook or any other uber number cruncher you name it)

Anyway...

You want to build a damn huge web site with damn huge data set and damn huge
requests per second.

and you still want to use that SQL for primary data store for reading.

ARE YOU NUTS ???

With this kind of approach,

You will be in deep trouble with any language, with any Reational SQL Server.

If your customers need that kind of thing. You need lots of sophisticated
people which know how to handle big things under web enviroment.

Good luck to you.

Regards

Sancar
From: Rene Veerman on
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 22:15 +0200, Rene Veerman wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Ashley Sheridan
> <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:
>

> > So you're basically saying that you'd discount anyone who opposes you
> > purely because you think you know best?
> >
> > Nice attitude.
> >

> I ain't saying that at all, nor did i intend to imply it.
>
> In fact it's the anti-threading/shared-mem camp that thinks they know
> everything best with their instistance that "throw more hardware at it, more
> sql servers, more programming languages in a single project" will solve all
> software design / growth problems with enough efficiency.
>
> They're offering the alternative. You keep disagreeing with their viewpoint
> because you seem to think you know best on this matter and won't even
> concede on a point.

they're offering an alternative that would not solve the use-case i could
think of within 1 day..

and they also say 'add more hardware' which means more overhead of every
kind, resulting in wasteful business practices.

> In this case, you still haven't given me any other reason to oppose the
> evolution of php with the market trend
>
> Do you have any proof of this 'market trend'? I suggested a vote, but you
> 'nay-sayed' it on the basis that you'd lose to people who couldn't possibly
> know as much as you do.

yes, twitter. facebook. the fact that a graphics upgrade would likely
increase business for the first ones on that popularity level to implement
it.
that's the proof i have for the market trend.

oh, and the fact "cloud computing" is becoming more and more of a buzzword
in the industry.

> I wouldn't say I belonged to any particular camp at the start of this
> thread, but now, having read what my betters have said, I'm inclined to
> agree that threading isn't the magic wand that you seem to think it is. I
> personally see one of the largest sites in the world running on PHP without
> needing threading and without insulting half the list to attempt to get it.

you haven't offered me any description at all of how i'd solve the
large-scale realtime-web-app with existing techniques.

and if i explain why i'd need the features we've discussed, you dismiss it
by accepting a generalized "that can be solved with more sql servers" answer
that is admitted to increase costs in every department, including energy
consumption. on a non-linear scale btw.
From: Rene Veerman on
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com> wrote:

> Are you suggesting that you need to be a guru in C to write threaded C code?
> I think the word you're looking for is competent.

plz dont make me repeat myself, i've already indicated my reasons as
to why i want to keep my codebase in 1 language, and why i would like
to keep my large existing code base in php, and have php evolve with
the times, and allow applications written in it to grow easily to
large scale use.

it would expand the user base of php as well i think.

> Are you suggesting cross platform thread libraries don't exist? I wonder how
> Apache does it... or MySQL... or any number of open source cross-platform
> systems. If they implement their own, then by the virtue of the source being
> open, you can feel free to incorporate.

adding all these things as custom extensions that are hard to maintain
and increase software complexity, is not what i want.

the reason i chose php is for it's simplicity of use.