From: Peter Lind on
On 25 March 2010 20:19, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Aren't all feature requests must be analyzed the same way?  Example,
> namespace, how many of us actually uses it now when there is an
> alternative solution- subfolders - that we've been using since who
> knows how long.  I don't know if threads was asked a feature prior
> namespace was implemented.

Yes, you're right. But feature requests are not equal: some present a
bigger payoff than others, and some will be more problematic to
implement than others. If a given language can solve the problems it
meets based on it's current structure, should you necessarily
implement new shiny features, that may present problems?

I'm not against threads in PHP per se ... I just haven't seen a very
convincing reason for them yet, which is why I'm not very positive
about the thing. The DB scenario could be handled without threads and
current libraries could be improved ... and as long as that's cheaper
than implementing threads, then - personally - I'd need to see more
powerful reasons for threads.

Luckily, I have no say in the development of PHP, so I won't get in
anyone's way should they choose to implement threads :)

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Tommy Pham on
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 March 2010 20:19, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aren't all feature requests must be analyzed the same way?  Example,
>> namespace, how many of us actually uses it now when there is an
>> alternative solution- subfolders - that we've been using since who
>> knows how long.  I don't know if threads was asked a feature prior
>> namespace was implemented.
>>

> Yes, you're right. But feature requests are not equal: some present a
> bigger payoff than others, and some will be more problematic to
> implement than others. If a given language can solve the problems it
> meets based on it's current structure, should you necessarily
> implement new shiny features, that may present problems?
>
> I'm not against threads in PHP per se ... I just haven't seen a very
> convincing reason for them yet, which is why I'm not very positive
> about the thing. The DB scenario could be handled without threads and
> current libraries could be improved ... and as long as that's cheaper
> than implementing threads, then - personally - I'd need to see more
> powerful reasons for threads.
>
> Luckily, I have no say in the development of PHP, so I won't get in
> anyone's way should they choose to implement threads :)

Here's my analysis, let's say that you have 1000 requests / second on
the web server. Each request has multiqueries which take a total of 1
second to complete. In that one second, how many of those 1000 arrive
at the same time (that one instant of micro/nano second)? You see how
threads come in? If you have threads that are able finish the
requests that come in that instant and able to complete them before
the next batch of requests in that same second, wouldn't you agree
then that you're delivering faster response time to all your users?
From: Peter Lind on
On 25 March 2010 20:59, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Peter Lind <peter.e.lind(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25 March 2010 20:19, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Aren't all feature requests must be analyzed the same way?  Example,
>>> namespace, how many of us actually uses it now when there is an
>>> alternative solution- subfolders - that we've been using since who
>>> knows how long.  I don't know if threads was asked a feature prior
>>> namespace was implemented.
>>>

>> Yes, you're right. But feature requests are not equal: some present a
>> bigger payoff than others, and some will be more problematic to
>> implement than others. If a given language can solve the problems it
>> meets based on it's current structure, should you necessarily
>> implement new shiny features, that may present problems?
>>
>> I'm not against threads in PHP per se ... I just haven't seen a very
>> convincing reason for them yet, which is why I'm not very positive
>> about the thing. The DB scenario could be handled without threads and
>> current libraries could be improved ... and as long as that's cheaper
>> than implementing threads, then - personally - I'd need to see more
>> powerful reasons for threads.
>>
>> Luckily, I have no say in the development of PHP, so I won't get in
>> anyone's way should they choose to implement threads :)
>>

> Here's my analysis, let's say that you have 1000 requests / second on
> the web server.  Each request has multiqueries which take a total of 1
> second to complete.  In that one second, how many of those 1000 arrive
> at the same time (that one instant of micro/nano second)?  You see how
> threads come in?  If you have threads that are able finish the
> requests that come in that instant and able to complete them before
> the next batch of requests in that same second, wouldn't you agree
> then that you're delivering faster response time to all your users?

That sounds like your webserver spawning new processes dealing with
requests ... possibly combined with connection pooling and
asynchronous queries and load balancing, etc, etc. So no, I'm not
convinced that PHP with threads would actually deliver much faster
than a properly built setup that makes good usage of technology you'll
have to use anyway.

From: Per Jessen on
Tommy Pham wrote:

> I'm presenting the argument for threading. Per is presenting the wor=
> around using asynchronous queries via mysqlnd. I did read that link =
> few days ago, "Although the user can send multiple queries at once,
> multiple queries cannot be sent over a busy connection. If a query is=

> sent while the connection is busy, it waits until the last query is
> finished and discards all its results." Which sounds like threads ->=

> multiple connections to not run into that problem.

You must have read the wrong page. This is NOT about multiple queries,=

it's about _asynchronous_ queries.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (15.1=C2=B0C)

From: Per Jessen on
Peter Lind wrote:

> I'm not against threads in PHP per se ... I just haven't seen a very
> convincing reason for them yet, which is why I'm not very positive
> about the thing.=20

Roughly the same here - I don't think threading belongs in PHP, but if
someone decides it's a good idea, I won't be arguing against someone
volunteering the effort.=20

/Per

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (15.7=C2=B0C)