From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Tommy,

> 10+ million products is not hard to believe. Look at Amazon (my
> future possible project is not related to Amazon nor am I endorsing
> it). They sell consumer goods. Their product skus are about 30
> million, and that's not all the consumer goods there are either.

They have a datacenter, a bunch of load balancer and does not run any-
thing on a singel database server. They use more then 1000 servers!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/> Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/> 50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de 67100 Strabourg/France
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com) Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886 Tel. FR: +33 6 61925193
From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Matt,

> ok, how do I get off this list?

Realy easy... :-D

You continue reading this thread and then commit suicid! If then your
maibox overflow, you will automaticaly unsubscribed through the bounces.

From: Michelle Konzack on
Hello Robert,

> Matt Giddings wrote:
> >unsubscribe
> *lol*

That hit it, -- right?

From: Tommy Pham on
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle(a)tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> The response time, max 5 seconds, will be tested on local gigabit LAN
>> to ensure the adequate response (optimized DB & code & proper
>> hardware) without worrying about users' connection limit and site's
>> upload bandwidth limit (which can easily rectify).  Then thereafter
>> will be doing stress test of about 10 concurrent users.  As for the
>> major queries, that's where threads come in, IMO, because those
>> queries depend on 1 primary parameter (category ID) and 1 secondary
>> parameter (language ID).  This particular site starts with 500
>> products about 15 categories, without many of those mentioned filters,
>> later grew to its current state.
>
> Because not a singel OSS OnlineStore software support  features  I  need
> for my business, I am coding  a  whole  "Waren Wirtschafts System"  with
> production checkout and an additional OnlineStore where I sell  products
> which I have bought in VERY big quantities to get my Endproducts cheaper
> in production.
>
> I start with bneary the same requiements as you, have 18 main categories
> and each has 5 to 40 sub categories.
>
> Currently I have arround 1700 different products I need  for  production
> but over the tieme I count with 30-50.000 products.
>
> The server I will use is developed by my own using  a  Marvell  Kirkwood
> MV78200 with an attached Marvell 8-channel SATA/SAS  Raid-0/1/10/5  con-
> troller.  This pig has 2 GByte DDR2 memory and beat anything I have ever
> used in this class.  It is an ARM Microcontroller with 1200MHz.
>
> The "Reference Design" I use currently can handel more then 400 requests
> at once...
>
> If such small machine can handel this, I realy think, you  do  not  know
> what are you talking about...
>
> My software (Apache2, PHP5 and PostgreSQL 8.3;  Debian GNU/Linux  Lenny)
> installed on this Low-Energy (<17W) machine  can  be  scaled  by  adding
> parallel machines to increase performance...
>
> The machine without harddrives cost me in production  of  1000 pcs  less
> then 300 Euro/machine.
>
> I am slightely sure, yo make something wrong...
>
> I will not continue to read ths thread, because it is sick.
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>    Michelle Konzack
>    Systemadministrator
>    24V Electronic Engineer
>    Tamay Dogan Network
>    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant
>
> --
> Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
> ##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
> <http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
> <http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
> Jabber linux4michelle(a)jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
> IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
> ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193

I think you're missing my point. Given your current hardware,
software, product list, etc... how long does it take to run your
queries in series? If you were able to run them in parallel and
deliver faster response time to the users, would you implement PHP
thread, if it's available?
From: =?UTF-8?Q?Hans_=C3=85hlin?= on
Threading, Shared memory and PHP

Do PHP really need support for threads?
When and why is it necessary?
Why should/shouldn't it be implemented in the core?
How can one implement/create similar features right now?

One reason I can imagine it to be useful, is if one has lots of SQL
servers, and would want the script to manage the workload, or that if
the servers might have different data stored that one needs access to.
For example; one SQL server has account information, and another
handles the messaging system, and the third handles generic
information, and the last handles a product catalog with categories.
And with threading, it would be a performance gain to be able to send
the queries simultaneously to different servers.

As for shared memory I think it is safer to use workarounds, but it
would make it easier to create some classes, and would open up a whole
new (high performance) way for classes to access shared data, that
belongs to all objects and sessions.

I also see a problem with shared web hosting, concerning both security
and memory issues.
For example, lets say the host has 10 clients running advanced
systems, that place consistent data in memory, but only 2 clients has
the need for the resources that the host supplies and 1000 connections
at any given time, but the rest of the 10 clients only has 100
connections per day, and uses the same amount of memory as the more
demanding clients.
And then we have the problem with sharing memory across servers.
Then we have the security issue that, if improperly configured/coded,
other user/system can access the data, which arises the need for
sandboxes or access control schemes.

I fund some workarounds to this kind of problem by putting my energy
on the code deign and analysis. I have a feeling that the most of the
ones that yells the most belongs to the power programming group that
skipped the part with architect philosophy.

So basically I don´t need the support of threading or shared memory, I
created the solution that works for me and my partners (with php
only). But I admit that if there were native support for threading I
would use it. But I don´t want the support for threading if it
slowdown the performance.

MvH / Hans Åhlin
Tel: +46761488019
http://www.kronan-net.com/