From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 08:11 +0200, Rene Veerman wrote:

> right now my cms is 2D, and indeed most of the graphics are static
> then.
>
> but i have plans to lift it into 3D, with "rooms" interacting via
> avatars, and then the graphics-selection and avatar-behavior
> (animations) selections alone i suspect will put much extra stress on
> the servers. especially if i have to use sql servers to handle the
> datastreams.

Have you had a look at Papervision? It's about the best thing for 3D on
the web right now, and has even garnered some official Adobe support.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Rene Veerman on
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk>wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 08:11 +0200, Rene Veerman wrote:
>
> right now my cms is 2D, and indeed most of the graphics are static then.
>
> but i have plans to lift it into 3D, with "rooms" interacting via
> avatars, and then the graphics-selection and avatar-behavior
> (animations) selections alone i suspect will put much extra stress on
> the servers. especially if i have to use sql servers to handle the
> datastreams.
>

> Have you had a look at Papervision? It's about the best thing for 3D on the
> web right now, and has even garnered some official Adobe support.

yup. papervision, away3d, i've had a look at them.

my current thinking is to build an abstraction layer for 3D in
flashdevelop.org that interfaces with either papervision or away3d.. no
telling which'll be the victor in the end of that race.

but the real reason for me to invest in an extra abstraction layer is those
"unlimited detail" guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4&ttl=1)
who are likely to change the entire 3D stack (from graphicscard up).
From: Robert Cummings on
Per Jessen wrote:
> Tommy Pham wrote:
>
>> (I remember a list member, not mentioning his name, does optimization
>> of PHP coding for just microseconds. Do you think how much more he'd
>> benefit from this?)
>
> Anyone who optimizes PHP for microseconds has lost touch with reality -
> or at least forgotten that he or she is using an interpreted language.

But sometimes it's just plain fun to do it here on the list with
everyone further optimizing the last optimized snippet :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Tommy Pham on
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:55 AM, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
> Tommy Pham wrote:

>>> Use mysqlnd - asynchronous mysql queries.
>>>

>> You're assuming that everyone in the PHP world uses MySQL 4.1 or
>> newer.  What about those who don't?
>
> They don't get to use threading, nor asynchronous mysql queries.
>
> Come on, you're asking about a future feature in PHP 7.x , but would
> like to support someone who is seriously backlevel on mysql??
>

> --
> Per Jessen, Zürich (16.9°C)

I'm not talking about MySQL 4.0 or older. I'm talking about other
RDBMS. I think you should open your eyes a bit wider and take a look
at the bigger picture (Firebird, MSSQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc).
From: Peter Lind on
On 25 March 2010 19:37, Tommy Pham <tommyhp2(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:55 AM, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
>> Tommy Pham wrote:

>>> You're assuming that everyone in the PHP world uses MySQL 4.1 or
>>> newer.  What about those who don't?
>>
>> They don't get to use threading, nor asynchronous mysql queries.
>>
>> Come on, you're asking about a future feature in PHP 7.x , but would
>> like to support someone who is seriously backlevel on mysql??
>>

>> --
>> Per Jessen, Zürich (16.9°C)
>>

> I'm not talking about MySQL 4.0 or older.  I'm talking about other
> RDBMS.  I think you should open your eyes a bit wider and take a look
> at the bigger picture (Firebird, MSSQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc).

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-send-query.php

Looks to me like the PHP postgresql library already handles that. Not
to mention: you're not presenting an argument for threads, you're
presenting an argument for implementing asynchronous queries in the
other DBMS libraries.

Of course, the problem could also be solved by introducing threads in
PHP. I'd personally guess modifying DBMS libraries would be less
costly, but as I haven't been involved in writing the PHP code my
guess isn't worth much.

Regards
Peter

<hype>