From: Per Jessen on
Rene Veerman wrote:

> i really want to keep my code base in 1 language, because that
> simplifies everything later on imo.

Yes, generally speaking that's a good idea. Not always the optimal
choice when you weigh up the requirements and the available skillsets,
but nonetheless.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (13.4=C2=B0C)

From: Per Jessen on
Rene Veerman wrote:

> b) to me it's a matter of keeping php attuned with the market trends.=

> this thread forces me to reconsider my choice of language, because i
> do code to maybe get as big as facebook one day.

Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. The keyword is scalability,
and that is measured by how much performance you gain by adding another=

box. You appear to be far more concerned with how much you can get out=

of a single, small box, and that's the wrong focus, IMHO.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (13.7=C2=B0C)

From: Daniel Egeberg on
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:27, Rene Veerman <rene7705(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Stuart Dallas
>> I find it curious and amusing that you think the lack of threading support means PHP is somehow living in the dark ages. But yeah, complaining that the FREE tool you've CHOSEN to use doesn't support the feature YOU want... yeah, that's the way to go.
>>

> a) i'm not the only 1 who wants that feature, or would appreciate it
> when it's made available.
>
> b) to me it's a matter of keeping php attuned with the market trends.
> this thread forces me to reconsider my choice of language, because i
> do code to maybe get as big as facebook one day.
> it really really helps to have my codebase in a simple language like
> php, and yet be able to build blackboxes in that language that do
> threading and use shared memory..
> imo, it saves significant time (money) and headaches (risk) when
> growing from 1 server to thousands of servers.

If you believe you have the chance of becoming as big as Facebook and
that you would save loads of money by having PHP support
multi-threading, what's preventing you from hiring people to add that
to PHP? You can complain all you want, but even with the most
compelling reasons in the world it will not be done if there is not
enough manpower to do it.

I'm not even sure why you are complaining about this on the general
list. Why don't you write an RFC and send it to internals for
discussion? I'm sure someone would be happy to give you write access
to the rfc namespace on the wiki if you sign up for an account there.

Seeing as it's apparently so crucial to the operation of your
business, I don't think it's unreasonable that you commit some
resources to it. I don't think anyone is *against* that PHP supports
multi-threading. I think people are against having multi-threading if
it will stall other development in the PHP core. It's not like you can
implement it just like that. There is just a limit on how much that
can be done with the resources that are available.

--
Daniel Egeberg
From: Rene Veerman on
well i have this very strong gut feeling that at least some php apps
stand to gain so much efficiency per box with threading and shared
memory that they'll save not only their operators a lot of headaches,
but also significant money and energy. that in turn benefits those
outside the company using php.

From: Per Jessen on
Rene Veerman wrote:

> how about having a threaded php server query 10 mysql servers at the
> same time? 10 results in .1 seconds!
>=20

How about using mysqlnd? AFAIK, it has support for asynchronous
queries.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (14.2=C2=B0C)