From: Ray Fischer on
Charles Packer <mailbox(a)cpacker.org> wrote:
>I've been using an EFS 18-55mm lens on my Canon 20D
>for a specialized project ( http://cpacker.org/trees ).
>I believe this is the kit lens. Can I improve my
>images by moving up to a more expensive lens?

Yes.

>I see chromatic aberration at the sides. An example
>is at http://cpacker.org/aa.png where there is
>obvious chromatic distortion of the white marker
>post. This image is a crop of the right lower corner of
>a full-size image.

But for you're project it doesn't look like you're using full-sized
images.

>Online I see a Sigma 28-70mm DG for $100 and a Sigma
>28-70mm EX DG for $350.

I dislike Sigma.

> On Craiglist somebody locally
>is offerring a Canon EF 28-70mm for $800.

And you can get a new Canon 17-40mm for around $700.

> Would any
>of these make an _obvious_ difference in the example
>scene?

If you were dealing with full-sized images, yes. The 17-40mm is
sharper and has better color and contrast. But as others have
pointed out, you could achieve similar results with some processing
in Photoshop to remove the chromatic aberration and improve color and
contrast.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: John McWilliams on
On 1/15/10 PDT 9:11 AM, Ray Fischer wrote:
> Charles Packer<mailbox(a)cpacker.org> wrote:
>> I've been using an EFS 18-55mm lens on my Canon 20D
>> for a specialized project ( http://cpacker.org/trees ).
>> I believe this is the kit lens. Can I improve my
>> images by moving up to a more expensive lens?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I see chromatic aberration at the sides. An example
>> is at http://cpacker.org/aa.png where there is
>> obvious chromatic distortion of the white marker
>> post. This image is a crop of the right lower corner of
>> a full-size image.
>
> But for you're project it doesn't look like you're using full-sized
> images.
>
>> Online I see a Sigma 28-70mm DG for $100 and a Sigma
>> 28-70mm EX DG for $350.
>
> I dislike Sigma.
>
>> On Craiglist somebody locally
>> is offerring a Canon EF 28-70mm for $800.
>
> And you can get a new Canon 17-40mm for around $700.
>
>> Would any
>> of these make an _obvious_ difference in the example
>> scene?
>
> If you were dealing with full-sized images, yes. The 17-40mm is
> sharper and has better color and contrast. But as others have
> pointed out, you could achieve similar results with some processing
> in Photoshop to remove the chromatic aberration and improve color and
> contrast.

Using a zoom for the type of project outlined introduces too many
variables. Yes, they could all conceivably be controlled, but why spend
more money when a good fixed focal length lens will give superior results??

--
john mcwilliams

From: Better Info on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 05:26:15 -0800 (PST), Charles Packer
<mailbox(a)cpacker.org> wrote:

>I've been using an EFS 18-55mm lens on my Canon 20D
>for a specialized project ( http://cpacker.org/trees ).
>I believe this is the kit lens. Can I improve my
>images by moving up to a more expensive lens?
>I see chromatic aberration at the sides. An example
>is at http://cpacker.org/aa.png where there is
>obvious chromatic distortion of the white marker
>post. This image is a crop of the right lower corner of
>a full-size image.
>
>Online I see a Sigma 28-70mm DG for $100 and a Sigma
>28-70mm EX DG for $350. On Craiglist somebody locally
>is offerring a Canon EF 28-70mm for $800. Would any
>of these make an _obvious_ difference in the example
>scene?

For $350-$450 you can beat the performance of a DSLR and its kit lens with
a P&S camera.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

Here's a test where two models of P&S cameras beat more than just a DSLR's
kit-lens.

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/

Add in the free CHDK software add-on for it and you have unlimited
versatility for time-lapse projects too, no longer any need to be tethered
to any laptop or cumbersome battery-packs for lengthy time-lapse projects.
You can even take video clips between time-lapse still frames if needed.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Intervalometers (and many other) CHDK scripts.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts

The SX10 and G9 are already supported by CHDK. They are presently working
on porting it to the G11. The G9 and G11 both beat the image quality from
the new Canon 7D DSLR. The SX10 beating the image quality from the Canon
450D/XSi.

You can also admirably remove any CA from your existing camera and lens'
images with plugins like PTLens, or DeBarrelizer (from
theimagingfactory.com), the CA filter built into Photoline (from pl32.net),
or the freeware plugin called CAFree which you can also use in any of the
freeware editors like IrfanView or FastStone.

From: John McWilliams on

From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:14:09 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 1/15/10 PDT 11:07 AM, Better Info wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 05:26:15 -0800 (PST), Charles Packer
>> <mailbox(a)cpacker.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using an EFS 18-55mm lens on my Canon 20D
>>> for a specialized project ( http://cpacker.org/trees ).
>>> I believe this is the kit lens. Can I improve my
>>> images by moving up to a more expensive lens?
>>> I see chromatic aberration at the sides. An example
>>> is at http://cpacker.org/aa.png where there is
>>> obvious chromatic distortion of the white marker
>>> post. This image is a crop of the right lower corner of
>>> a full-size image.
>>>
>>> Online I see a Sigma 28-70mm DG for $100 and a Sigma
>>> 28-70mm EX DG for $350. On Craiglist somebody locally
>>> is offerring a Canon EF 28-70mm for $800. Would any
>>> of these make an _obvious_ difference in the example
>>> scene?
>>
>> For $ << Snipped bullshit bits out >>

How very small and insecure of you. Because not one bit of what you snipped
was any kind of bullshit. The fun part is ... everyone who reads those
links or follows the advice will now know that you alone are nothing but a
troll and a bullshitter. You trolls do so love outing yourselves, don't
you.