From: Frank ess on
I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.

While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.

Apparently a /lot/ of 5D users have had the same bad news. The good
news is that Canon acknowledges the problem and will "reinforce" the
mirror's attachment free of charge. My contact at Canon's Customer
Support Center was Jennifer. She said I could drop off the camera at
the Irvine branch - 68 miles away - or they would send me a UPS
shipping label to put on my carefully-packed box. This kind of
"adjustment" goes to the head of the line, and will result in a 3- or
4-day turnaround.

Apparently an email went out to registered users (thought I /was/ one)
about six months ago:

==================
Thank you for using Canon products.

We have discovered that, in rare instances, the main mirror of some
EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras may detach due to deterioration in the
strength of the adhesive. Accordingly, we would like to convey the
details and our service policy concerning this phenomenon.

We offer our sincerest apologies to those customers who have been
inconvenienced by this issue. Canon always strives to provide the
highest quality products to our customers and we will spare no effort
in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our
products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your
understanding.

Phenomenon
The main mirror of the camera detaches and images cannot be viewed
through the viewfinder.

Affected products
EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras whose main mirror has detached.

User Support
We will repair and reinforce the mirror portion of the affected
products free of charge. If you own one of the affected products,
please contact our Customer Support Center.

We appreciate your patience, and we offer our sincerest apologies to
the customers using these products who have been inconvenienced by
this issue.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico
only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact
the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Contact Information for Inquiries
Customer Support Center
1-866-422-2965 (toll free)
8:00 a.m. - Midnight, EST (M-F)
10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., EST (Sat.)
Email: carecenter(a)cits.canon.com
==================

These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
(motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two)
:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg

Cheers,

--
Frank ess

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-15 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:

> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>
> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
> EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
> everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
> appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
> fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.

> ==================
>
> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
> Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two) :
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>
> Cheers,

Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are
taking the appropriate action to make things right.

Regarding your 3 shots, that looks like one of our many burn areas, and
we can only hope they don't have too many slide problems if the
predicted storms and rain come in next week.

As for the Mustang convertible, you might be giving too much away to
our Eastern cousins with regard to Winter in Southern California. :-)

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: NameHere on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote:

> [...]
>please contact our Customer Support Center.
>
>We appreciate your patience, and we offer our sincerest apologies to
>the customers using these products who have been inconvenienced by
>this issue.
>
>This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico
>only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact
>the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.
>
>Contact Information for Inquiries
>Customer Support Center
>1-866-422-2965 (toll free)
>8:00 a.m. - Midnight, EST (M-F)
>10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., EST (Sat.)
>Email: carecenter(a)cits.canon.com
>==================
>
>These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>(motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
>Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two)

Let me log this one as another of the 200 or so reasons I'm so glad I
switched to non-SLR design cameras long ago. One of my favorite super-zoom
P&S cameras has been through 7 years of hikes to mountain-tops, to remote
and steamy gator-infested swamps (to photograph the rarest orchids on
earth), to ocean shores, and to deserts; through fumbles and falls down
glacial-moraines and old mining tailings-piles; through rain and snow and
ice-storms; to even getting dunked in a foot of water in the bottom of a
leaking crabbing-boat (luckily I had it inside a zip-loc baggie converted
into a harsh-weather-cover at the time). 400,000+ images through all that
without one single repair ... and it's still going strong. I'm so glad I
was smart enough to choose, and learn to use, the right kind of digital
cameras so long ago when I switched from SLR film. All those SLR-design
headaches and disappointments gone for good. Since that decision, not one
image I ever intended to get has become just a memory and lost forever due
to camera failure.

You'll all learn. Some day. Or not--some of you are incapable of learning
and evolving.

From: John McWilliams on
On 1/15/10 PDT 11:35 AM, NameHere wrote:

> I'm so glad I
> was smart enough to choose, and learn to use, the right kind of digital
> cameras so long ago when I switched from SLR film. All those SLR-design
> headaches and disappointments gone for good. Since that decision, not one
> image I ever intended to get has become just a memory and lost forever due
> to camera failure.
>
> You'll all learn. Some day. Or not--some of you are incapable of learning
> and evolving.

We're proud you are so smart.
Now, be smart enough to stop repeating yourself!
And, have a nice day......

--
john mcwilliams

From: NameHere on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:41:36 -0800, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 1/15/10 PDT 11:35 AM, NameHere wrote:
>
>> I'm so glad I
>> was smart enough to choose, and learn to use, the right kind of digital
>> cameras so long ago when I switched from SLR film. All those SLR-design
>> headaches and disappointments gone for good. Since that decision, not one
>> image I ever intended to get has become just a memory and lost forever due
>> to camera failure.
>>
>> You'll all learn. Some day. Or not--some of you are incapable of learning
>> and evolving.
>
>We're proud you are so smart.
>Now, be smart enough to stop repeating yourself!

That's easy. All that you trolls have to do is stop repeating your
deceptive misinformation. Then the repetitive corrections to your blatant
misinformation will stop.

Are YOU smart enough? Methinks not. On further reflection, meknows so.