From: Nervous Nick on
On Jan 15, 1:06 pm, "Frank ess" <fr...(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote:
> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.

Good for you! It's always important to establish a bit of cryptic and
completely irrelevant context before making a point.

From: dwight on

> On 2010-01-15 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:
>
>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
>> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
>> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>
>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon EOS-5D
>> through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then everything
>> went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were appropriate buttons
>> with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror fell out on the
>> ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>

>> ==================
>>
>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South Grade
>> Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two) :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are taking
> the appropriate action to make things right.
>
> Regarding your 3 shots, that looks like one of our many burn areas, and we
> can only hope they don't have too many slide problems if the predicted
> storms and rain come in next week.
>
> As for the Mustang convertible, you might be giving too much away to our
> Eastern cousins with regard to Winter in Southern California. :-)
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

As I write this, the weather bug on my desktop is reporting a 36 degree
temperature outside, and my own Mustang convertible sits in the garage. We
Easterners are not unaware of the fact that other areas of the country don't
get to enjoy a brisk morning, when nose hairs freeze upon the first inhale,
or waking up to a good total-body workout, shovelling away an overnight
snowfall. We revel in four distinct seasons, and enjoy them all. Each brings
a completely new challenge/opportunity for photography, too.

We tend to refer to places like Southern California as "vacation." The
question is, where do people who live in Vacation go on their vacations?

dwight

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-16 06:12:35 -0800, "dwight" <dwight(a)XTFrog.com> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-01-15 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:
>>
>>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
>>> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
>>> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>>
>>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
>>> EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
>>> everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
>>> appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
>>> fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>>

>>> ==================
>>>
>>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
>>> Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two) :
>>>
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are
>> taking the appropriate action to make things right.
>>
>> Regarding your 3 shots, that looks like one of our many burn areas, and
>> we can only hope they don't have too many slide problems if the
>> predicted storms and rain come in next week.
>>
>> As for the Mustang convertible, you might be giving too much away to
>> our Eastern cousins with regard to Winter in Southern California. :-)
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>

> As I write this, the weather bug on my desktop is reporting a 36 degree
> temperature outside, and my own Mustang convertible sits in the garage.
> We Easterners are not unaware of the fact that other areas of the
> country don't get to enjoy a brisk morning, when nose hairs freeze upon
> the first inhale, or waking up to a good total-body workout, shovelling
> away an overnight snowfall. We revel in four distinct seasons, and
> enjoy them all. Each brings a completely new challenge/opportunity for
> photography, too.
>
> We tend to refer to places like Southern California as "vacation." The
> question is, where do people who live in Vacation go on their vacations?
>
> dwight

I merely tease.
It is 49�F right now with an expected high of 64�F. We have storms and
heavy rain predicted for next week. That should bring the highs way
down into the mid 50's.

First I need to qualify my post. I don't live in the paved suburban
hell searching for a city, known as Southern California, and only
travel there reluctantly.
I live in the paradise of the Central Coast of California, which
stretches from Ventura, through Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, San Luis
Obispo, then along the coast from Morro Bay to Monterey via Big Sur, or
inland through Paso Robles (home) & the Salinas Valley. You might add
Santa Cruz to the area, but it behaves too much as a traffic clogged
dormitory for the Bay area to truly qualify as part of the Central
Coast.

As for vacation, we enjoy exploring near to home (affordable) or we
travel where and when we can.
My favorites run something like this, The Adirondacks & New England in
the Fall, Yosemite NP, Kings Canyon-Sequoia NP, Zion NP, Death Valley
in the Spring, To the Southern Hemisphere (South Africa, Argentina &
Brazil) in Winter (& stay at home with local road trips). As for
Summer, I live on Lake Nacimiento (and if we damn well get some rain
this Winter we might get to use it!) & trips up through Northern
California to Oregon, Washington and B.C. (Also throw in the
occassional Spring or Summer trip to Alaska and/or Europe & the U.K.)

BTW I don't do Disney!

Does that answer your question?
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Frank ess on

Bart Bailey wrote:
> In
> posted on Sat, 16 Jan 2010 03:37:31 -0800 (PST), Nervous Nick
> wrote: Begin
>
>> On Jan 15, 1:06 pm, "Frank ess" <fr...(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote:
>>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate
>>> the scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's
>>> Bakery in Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>
>> Good for you! It's always important to establish a bit of cryptic
>> and completely irrelevant context before making a point.
>
> Not cryptic at all to a San Diego resident
> quite familiar with the back country.

I must have plonked the sarcastic poster; nice to see s/he's still
kicking. I get paid by the word. Gotta make a buck somewhere.

The Idea was to get you-all to look at my Mustang photo and ask, "What
kind of wheels are those?", to which I respond:

"Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition 19x9/10, powder-coated black, Michelin
Pilot Sport PS2 275-35 tires. Superior in every performance aspect
except weight and tread wear, which in this case don't matter that
much. Thanks for asking".

Cheers!

--
Frank ess

From: Frank ess on

dwight wrote:
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-01-15 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:
>>
>>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate
>>> the scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's
>>> Bakery in Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>>
>>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my
>>> Canon EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS
>>> lenses. Then everything went dark. After pushing all of what I
>>> thought were appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the
>>> lens and the mirror fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>>

>>> ==================
>>>
>>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up
>>> South Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for
>>> part two) :
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are
>> taking the appropriate action to make things right.
>>
>> Regarding your 3 shots, that looks like one of our many burn
>> areas, and we can only hope they don't have too many slide
>> problems if the predicted storms and rain come in next week.
>>
>> As for the Mustang convertible, you might be giving too much away
>> to our Eastern cousins with regard to Winter in Southern
>> California. :-) --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>

> As I write this, the weather bug on my desktop is reporting a 36
> degree temperature outside, and my own Mustang convertible sits in
> the garage. We Easterners are not unaware of the fact that other
> areas of the country don't get to enjoy a brisk morning, when nose
> hairs freeze upon the first inhale, or waking up to a good
> total-body workout, shovelling away an overnight snowfall. We revel
> in four distinct seasons, and enjoy them all. Each brings a
> completely new challenge/opportunity for photography, too.

Seventy point nine F, here, with 35% humidity and the wind turned
around.

Yeah, I like that kind of seasonal stuff, too. Been there and done
that, to coin a phrase. Old, tired, and lazy as I am, I only get out
to revel in any of it a couple times a year. Of course the week before
my misadventure with the 5D, Palomar Mountain was a foot deep in
snow - and will likely be again, next week. A few weeks earlier all
the deciduous trees were changing and dropping their colors, and in my
rear-view mirror I could see the leaves in vortexes, swirling and
flashing in the sun, as I breezed past. That's all within an hour's
drive of Vacation USA. Another hour to the Borrego desert park, where
bighorn sheep roam. You pays you money and you makes you choice, to
coin another.

> We tend to refer to places like Southern California as "vacation."
> The question is, where do people who live in Vacation go on their
> vacations?
> dwight

You're right: living in Vacation is a terrible job, just like being
retired: you never get a day off. When I was a lad I traveled a great
deal; my last two vacation-like episodes were driving trips to West
Texas, where I practiced my documentary photography:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/4027F8BD896E34A Three albums; enter at #1

http://www.fototime.com/inv/74C851289A00C38 TEXAS 09 album

Simple pleasures, simple satisfactions.

Cheers,