From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:28:31 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
>> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
>> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>
>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
>> EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
>> everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
>> appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
>> fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>

>> ==================
>>
>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
>> Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two) :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>
> Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are taking
> the appropriate action to make things right.

They only fix the camera. You could say that that's all they can do, but
IMO it's a long way from making things right. They can't give back the
shots you missed because of their design error and lousy testing.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: rwalker on
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-01-15 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:
>
>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
>> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
>> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>
>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
>> EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
>> everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
>> appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
>> fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>

>> ==================
>>
>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
>> Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two) :
>>
>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>>
>> Cheers,
>
>Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are
>taking the appropriate action to make things right.
>
>Regarding your 3 shots, that looks like one of our many burn areas, and
>we can only hope they don't have too many slide problems if the
>predicted storms and rain come in next week.
>
>As for the Mustang convertible, you might be giving too much away to
>our Eastern cousins with regard to Winter in Southern California. :-)

Why, it's a perfectly beautiful 37 degrees (F) in upstate NY today.
We're having a heat wave.
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-01-15 13:52:27 -0800, rwalker <rwalker(a)despammed.com> said:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:28:31 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-01-15 11:06:32 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:
>>
>>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
>>> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
>>> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>>
>>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
>>> EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
>>> everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
>>> appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
>>> fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>>

>>> ==================
>>>
>>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
>>> Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two) :
>>>
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are
>> taking the appropriate action to make things right.
>>
>> Regarding your 3 shots, that looks like one of our many burn areas, and
>> we can only hope they don't have too many slide problems if the
>> predicted storms and rain come in next week.
>>
>> As for the Mustang convertible, you might be giving too much away to
>> our Eastern cousins with regard to Winter in Southern California. :-)
>

> Why, it's a perfectly beautiful 37 degrees (F) in upstate NY today.
> We're having a heat wave.

Aah! Balmy Upstate NY, I remember my days in Syracuse, Utica and Inlet
with nostalgic thoughts of the snow shovel.
37�F, you need to fire up the the AC.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Frank ess on

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:28:31 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate
>>> the scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's
>>> Bakery in Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>>
>>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
>>> EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses.
>>> Then everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought
>>> were appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and
>>> the mirror fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>>

>>> ==================
>>>
>>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
>>> Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part
>>> two) :
>>>
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>>
>> Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are
>> taking the appropriate action to make things right.
>
> They only fix the camera. You could say that that's all they can
> do, but IMO it's a long way from making things right. They can't
> give back the shots you missed because of their design error and
> lousy testing.

You're correct in one aspect: there is a difference between no failure
at all and correcting the failed condition. According to what I read
about this problem, it's a matter of inferior glue that loses its
stick-to-it-iveness over time, and maybe as a result of heat and
humidity. There isn't much humidity where the camera has been for the
past four or five years, and I've always done what I could to avoid
excessive heat, both for me and for the camera. It's not easy to test
for the effects of aging at the scale required by a market that
evolves at the rate of this one. I'd guess one of Canon's suppliers
wasn't careful about the glue they shipped. Maybe just one batch; I
don't get the impression that every one of the 5Ds has had this
unstuck mirror thing happen.

I didn't miss any shots: the always-present backup 20D worked as well
as it always does. Even if I /did/ miss some, they probably weren't
much good, anyway. For my uses, the real advantage of the 5D over the
20D is that I can be a sloppier framer, thus preserving a larger
percentage of the images.

My cars have ABS and Traction Control, as well. No run-flat spares,
though.

--
Frank ess

From: Ray Fischer on
Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:28:31 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> I did a six-tenths motoring trip up South Grade Road to the S-6/7
>>> junction, took a pause at 22034 County Highway S-7 to appreciate the
>>> scenery prior to exciting descent to Lake Henshaw, Dudley's Bakery in
>>> Santa Ysabel, and the Lake Cuyamaca twisties.
>>>
>>> While stopped I made a hundred-fifty or so exposures with my Canon
>>> EOS-5D through the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L IS lenses. Then
>>> everything went dark. After pushing all of what I thought were
>>> appropriate buttons with no relief, I took off the lens and the mirror
>>> fell out on the ground. Uh-oh. Bad news.
>>

>>> ==================
>>>
>>> These are three of the last images made before the lights went out
>>> (motorcycle rider leaves roadwork crew behind as he zooms up South
>>> Grade Road, then meets oncoming traffic; Mustang poised for part two) :
>>>
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4260881735_89b4f99f36_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4260881833_fd3f736759_o.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4260881611_3db369eea6_o.jpg
>>
>> Sorry to hear of your unpleasant surprise, but I am glad they are taking
>> the appropriate action to make things right.
>
>They only fix the camera. You could say that that's all they can do, but
>IMO it's a long way from making things right. They can't give back the
>shots you missed because of their design error and lousy testing.

They were probably all crappy photos anyway.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net