From: Paul Furman on
MikeWhy wrote:
> "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
>>

>> MikeWhy wrote:
>>> "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Actually, I was wondering what crappy filter you had mounted on
>>> your lens and if you noticed the flare and loss of contrast at all,
>>> or if your monitor was just badly un-/mal-adjusted.
>>
>> Admitting to a less-than-perfectly-educated eye, I must ask for a bit
>> of tutoring here: what am I looking for if I want to see the "flare"
>> in that picture? Can't be due to a filter: I misplaced the only one I
>> own for this size lens (70mm, Canon circular polarizer).
>>
>> "Loss of contrast" I think I see (in the back of the car?) and can
>> explain*.
>>
>> Anything else about the picture?
>>
>> I have two monitors: Trinitron 420G on a RIVA TNT2 Model 64 from
>> whenever they came out several or more years ago, that gets about an
>> hour's use a month, but is well-adjusted; a Viewsonic VX2255wm-2 on a
>> Geforce FX 5600, that I despair of ever getting a completely
>> satisfactory display from, although from time to time it looks pretty
>> good to me.
>>
>> Thank you for your comments.
>
> Yes, the back of the car especially should be much richer in blacks and
> shadow detail. There are no real blacks, and the highlights are way too
> harsh. They all look about a full stop overexposed, perhaps from the
> monitor adjusted too dark and the levels shifted to compensating.
> Nvidia's display optimizer is serviceable for a rough calibration. (My
> monitors were calibrated less than a month ago with an EyeOne Display
> 2.) The problem probably isn't nose grease or dust on the lens, but a
> good dusting with a rolled up corner of a micro-fiber towel wouldn't hurt.

It is sort of overexposed but that looks intentional for a black car mid
day with the shaded side facing the camera. The histogram shows clipped
blacks & whites though. The shadows under the car do look unnaturally
light and washed out.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: Frank ess on

MikeWhy wrote:
> "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
>>

>> MikeWhy wrote:
>>> "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Actually, I was wondering what crappy filter you had mounted on
>>> your lens and if you noticed the flare and loss of contrast at
>>> all, or if your monitor was just badly un-/mal-adjusted.
>>
>> Admitting to a less-than-perfectly-educated eye, I must ask for a
>> bit of tutoring here: what am I looking for if I want to see the
>> "flare" in that picture? Can't be due to a filter: I misplaced the
>> only one I own for this size lens (70mm, Canon circular polarizer).
>>
>> "Loss of contrast" I think I see (in the back of the car?) and can
>> explain*.
>>
>> Anything else about the picture?
>>
>> I have two monitors: Trinitron 420G on a RIVA TNT2 Model 64 from
>> whenever they came out several or more years ago, that gets about
>> an hour's use a month, but is well-adjusted; a Viewsonic
>> VX2255wm-2 on a Geforce FX 5600, that I despair of ever getting a
>> completely satisfactory display from, although from time to time
>> it looks pretty good to me. Thank you for your comments.
>>
>> --
>> Frank ess
>> *Ham-handed Photo Shop operator
>
> Yes, the back of the car especially should be much richer in blacks
> and shadow detail. There are no real blacks, and the highlights are
> way too harsh. They all look about a full stop overexposed, perhaps
> from the monitor adjusted too dark and the levels shifted to
> compensating. Nvidia's display optimizer is serviceable for a rough
> calibration. (My monitors were calibrated less than a month ago
> with an EyeOne Display 2.) The problem probably isn't nose grease
> or dust on the lens, but a good dusting with a rolled up corner of
> a micro-fiber towel wouldn't hurt.

Thank you again.

I'd done a recent "breathe-on" and microfiber lens cleaning. I believe
the lack of contrast was introduced by overly enthusiastic Shadows and
Highlights adjustment resorted to in compensation for underexposure.
That explains (for Paul) the light under the car, as well: the texture
there was practically invisible.

I appreciate your taking the time to comment. I've been struggling
with the black-car challenge for a long time. Bright sunlight doesn't
help, and I can't always get to these places when the light is both
subdued and sufficient.

Back to the old draw- or someth- ingboard.

Cheers!

--
Frank ess

From: MikeWhy on
> I appreciate your taking the time to comment. I've been struggling with
> the black-car challenge for a long time. Bright sunlight doesn't help, and
> I can't always get to these places when the light is both subdued and
> sufficient.
>
> Back to the old draw- or someth- ingboard.

I have a black convertible as well. It very seldom has such a hard shine as
yours so my troubles are far fewer. I only have to expose for the dark road
dust. For something with such a hard gloss, the trick is to arrange or watch
what it's reflecting. To show it really black, the viewing angle has to
reflect something dark, while the background is strongly lit. For light on
dark, think drive through at night or the Vegas Strip, and then tone it down
closer to reality. You'll have learned something when you can light polished
metal. It's a classic studio lighting exercise.