From: bob on

>Since nobody said yes you need the $800 lens, I'm
>inclined to look favorably on that Sigma 28-70mm for
>$100 that I mentioned. It is f2.8, which will let in
>more light than the f3.5 of my kit lens, right? I can
>use all the speed I can get for the low light conditions
>I'm shooting in.

I will gladly say it - you need the $800 lens. At least you need to stay away from Sigma,
and stop trying to economize on glass.

cheap people take cheap photos.
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:16:29 -0800, bob wrote:

> look at the tests here:
>
> http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx
>
> you can look at results from various lenses.

In another message, you state that "you need to stay away from Sigma". On
the site mentioned above, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 performs better than any of
Canon's 50mm lenses, including the Canon 50mm f/1.2 L.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: SMS on
Charles Packer wrote:

> Since nobody said yes you need the $800 lens, I'm
> inclined to look favorably on that Sigma 28-70mm for
> $100 that I mentioned. It is f2.8, which will let in
> more light than the f3.5 of my kit lens, right? I can
> use all the speed I can get for the low light conditions
> I'm shooting in.

Get the Canon EF-S 17 mm - 55 mm - F/2.8

Avoid the Sigma at all costs.
From: Allen on
SMS wrote:
> Charles Packer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Online I see a Sigma 28-70mm DG for $100 and a Sigma
>> 28-70mm EX DG for $350. On Craiglist somebody locally
>> is offerring a Canon EF 28-70mm for $800. Would any
>> of these make an _obvious_ difference in the example
>> scene?
>
> I'd avoid the Sigma lenses at all costs. Be very careful about
> craigslist lenses since I've often seen them costing the same or more
> than what you'd pay for the same lens, with a warranty, from B&H or Amazon.
>
> If it's a lens you need for a project that's not going to take many
> weeks, you can rent a good lens.
>
> You might also consider just getting a 50mm f1.8 fixed lens which are
> very good and not expensive.

A quote from a follow-up from the OP:

"A zoom is the only practical solution for my project.
For the three scenes I'm shooting with a tripod at
a fixed location (sometimes in the rain!), I need to
go from wide angle to close in with a minimum of fuss,
adjusting to put my left and right marker posts close
to the edges of the frame for each shot."
Allen
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 05:04:40 -0800, Charles Packer wrote:

> For the three scenes I'm shooting with a tripod at a fixed location

[...]

> I can use all the speed I can get for the low light conditions I'm
> shooting in.

Why do you need all the speed you can get, if you're using a tripod?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com