From: Dan on
I have a Windows 2003 SP2 domain controller that is being used as the
Terminal Server Licensing server for a member Windows 2003 Terminal server.
Recently, I added 9 RDP per device CALS and everything worked fine. Then, we
needed to add 3 more and when I attempted this, there was an error
communicating with the Microsoft licensing server and the local Terminal
Server Licensing server database got corrupted. I removed and re-added the
TS licensing server and reinstalled the original 7 licenses, then the next 9
and finally the last 3. This appeared to have worked without a problem.
Unfortunately, we can only use the original 7 licenses before clients get an
error message telling them that they have exceeded the number of available
licenses. The 9 and 3 licenses are 2008 RDP CALs, but the 9 install worked
OK until the corruption occurred.

Thanks,

Dan
From: Silvia Doomra [MSFT] on
Hi,

Are you trying to say that you tried installation of Windows Server 2008
licenses on Windows Server 2003 license server? If so, then you can't
installed higher version of CALs on lower OS version license server.

For installing Windows Server 2008 licenses, you need to have Windows
Server 2008 license server.

Hope that helps!
Thanks
Silvia
Remote Desktop Services Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/rds

From: Dan on
Will I have to uninstall them and then have them downgraded before
reinstalling them?

From: Silvia Doomra [MSFT] on
On the first place, I am not sure that you have really installed Windows
Server 2008 licenses on Windows Server 2003 license server. As this is
impossible - please get back to me if you still have done that. I would love
to investigate it.

Now for the issue you are facing - if you have all your TS as Windows Server
2003 and lower then there is no harm in getting your licenses downgraded.
But if you have Windows Server 2008 TS in your setup then for accessing that
TS you will need Windows Server 2008 licenses. If your case is the second
one then you should upgrade your license server to Windows Server 2008 and
install your licenses on that . else you are good to go with downgrading
licenses :)