Prev: msiexec.exe
Next: Error 1402
From: stefan_acs on

Hi all,

every time I run an old 16 bit application which consists of a database
(Raima), a RS232 Communication module and an analyser module on my XP
PRO PC, I get the error meassage "The win16 subsystem has insufficient
resources to continue..." after 1 or two hours. Unfortunally I'm not
able to run this applications in different virtual machines because
they use DDE for communication.

Hopefully someone out in the world can help me.

--
stefan_acs
From: Mark L. Ferguson on
I would manually set a larger VM
Virtual Memory in Windows XP: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS AntiSpy (browser version) http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

From: Alex Nichol on
stefan_acs wrote:

>every time I run an old 16 bit application which consists of a database
>(Raima), a RS232 Communication module and an analyser module on my XP
>PRO PC, I get the error meassage "The win16 subsystem has insufficient
>resources to continue..." after 1 or two hours. Unfortunally I'm not
>able to run this applications in different virtual machines because
>they use DDE for communication.

This is unlikely to refer to memory in windows at all. Adjusting VM
will not help. It may arise from limited 'conventional' memory in the
DOS environment; the term 'resources' is too vague to be sure. But For
best DOS conventional memory, edit the windows\system32\config.nt and
autoexec.nt files.

In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
EMM = B=4000 RAM
(note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
none next to the second =) and

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
(or higher files= if needed)

and in autoexec.nt have

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
that may already be present at the end.

This should give about 612K for a program, run from a shortcut made to
its .exe file. R-click the shortcut, Properties and on the Memory page
you can set an explicit value - rather than Auto - for any EMM or XMS
memory it may need (whiich may also be the trouble) , and for initial
environment space

Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn(a)mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Pages: 1
Prev: msiexec.exe
Next: Error 1402