From: Chris M on
On 14/06/2010 06:08, bob wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:05:21 +0100, Chris M<nobody(a)nowhere.special>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/06/2010 22:36, bob wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when
>>> the VM is running.
>>>
>>> I have removed the empty SCSI device from the VM as I read that can
>>> cause the problem but it still blows up.
>>>
>>> Is there any chance that Hyper V can be made to run reliably or am I
>>> just wasting my time?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bob
>>>

>> What kind of hardware is the parent OS running on?
>>
>> I had a BSOD problem with a new Dell server running Hyper-V, and this
>> particular hotfix cured it:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975530
>
> Hi Chris,
> thanks for your reply.
> CPU is I7 860.
> It appears that the hot fix suits Xeon CPU.
> thanks
> bob

I think it also suits the i-series - it applies to any CPU codenamed
Nehalem which I believe includes the i7.

If you're getting the "0x00000101 - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" BSOD then
I'd put money on this hotfix solving your problem.

--
Chris.
From: bob on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:32:58 +0100, Chris M <nobody(a)nowhere.special>
wrote:

>On 14/06/2010 06:08, bob wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:05:21 +0100, Chris M<nobody(a)nowhere.special>
>> wrote:

>>> What kind of hardware is the parent OS running on?
>>>
>>> I had a BSOD problem with a new Dell server running Hyper-V, and this
>>> particular hotfix cured it:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975530
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>> thanks for your reply.
>> CPU is I7 860.
>> It appears that the hot fix suits Xeon CPU.
>> thanks
>> bob
>
>I think it also suits the i-series - it applies to any CPU codenamed
>Nehalem which I believe includes the i7.
>
>If you're getting the "0x00000101 - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" BSOD then
>I'd put money on this hotfix solving your problem.

Hi Chris,
The error is 0x00000101 Found it in the event viewer as a 'bugcheck
error'
I'll give the hot fix a go.
thanks
Bob
From: bob on
wrote:

>On 14/06/2010 06:08, bob wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:05:21 +0100, Chris M<nobody(a)nowhere.special>
>> wrote:

>>> What kind of hardware is the parent OS running on?
>>>
>>> I had a BSOD problem with a new Dell server running Hyper-V, and this
>>> particular hotfix cured it:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975530
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>> thanks for your reply.
>> CPU is I7 860.
>> It appears that the hot fix suits Xeon CPU.
>> thanks
>> bob
>
>I think it also suits the i-series - it applies to any CPU codenamed
>Nehalem which I believe includes the i7.
>
>If you're getting the "0x00000101 - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" BSOD then
>I'd put money on this hotfix solving your problem.

Hi Chris,
yep, did a bit of digging and found out how to analyse the dump.
It is 101-Clock_...
Put the hot fix on and it has been 12 hours of error free running with
the VM turned on.
thanks for your input on this.
Bob
From: Chris M on
On 16/06/2010 22:12, bob wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:32:58 +0100, Chris M<nobody(a)nowhere.special>
> wrote:
>
>> On 14/06/2010 06:08, bob wrote:

>>> Hi Chris,
>>> thanks for your reply.
>>> CPU is I7 860.
>>> It appears that the hot fix suits Xeon CPU.
>>> thanks
>>> bob
>>
>> I think it also suits the i-series - it applies to any CPU codenamed
>> Nehalem which I believe includes the i7.
>>
>> If you're getting the "0x00000101 - CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" BSOD then
>> I'd put money on this hotfix solving your problem.
>
> Hi Chris,
> yep, did a bit of digging and found out how to analyse the dump.
> It is 101-Clock_...
> Put the hot fix on and it has been 12 hours of error free running with
> the VM turned on.
> thanks for your input on this.
> Bob

Great news, good to hear!