From: bob on
Hi,
I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running
on it.

The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when
the VM is running.

I have removed the empty SCSI device from the VM as I read that can
cause the problem but it still blows up.

Is there any chance that Hyper V can be made to run reliably or am I
just wasting my time?

Thanks
Bob

From: kj [SBS MVP] on
bob wrote:
> Hi,
> I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running
> on it.
>
> The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when
> the VM is running.
>
> I have removed the empty SCSI device from the VM as I read that can
> cause the problem but it still blows up.
>
> Is there any chance that Hyper V can be made to run reliably or am I
> just wasting my time?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Got your host updates all installed?
--
/kj

From: bob on

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your reply.
I am not proficient in this area,
if by updates you mean using IExplorer to get windows updates then it
is uptodate.
If there is another process then it is not uptodate.
thanks
Bob

From: Chris M on
On 11/06/2010 22:36, bob wrote:
> Hi,
> I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running
> on it.
>
> The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when
> the VM is running.
>
> I have removed the empty SCSI device from the VM as I read that can
> cause the problem but it still blows up.
>
> Is there any chance that Hyper V can be made to run reliably or am I
> just wasting my time?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

What kind of hardware is the parent OS running on?

I had a BSOD problem with a new Dell server running Hyper-V, and this
particular hotfix cured it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975530

--
Chris M.
From: bob on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:05:21 +0100, Chris M <nobody(a)nowhere.special>
wrote:

>On 11/06/2010 22:36, bob wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have virtualised a win2003 server that has SQL server 2000 running
>> on it.
>>
>> The parent OS, WIn2008R2, blows up intermittently with a BSOD when
>> the VM is running.
>>
>> I have removed the empty SCSI device from the VM as I read that can
>> cause the problem but it still blows up.
>>
>> Is there any chance that Hyper V can be made to run reliably or am I
>> just wasting my time?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bob
>>

>What kind of hardware is the parent OS running on?
>
>I had a BSOD problem with a new Dell server running Hyper-V, and this
>particular hotfix cured it:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975530

Hi Chris,
thanks for your reply.
CPU is I7 860.
It appears that the hot fix suits Xeon CPU.
thanks
bob