From: Dustin on
~BD~ <BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

> [...]
>> quick backup of that data and then I'll do the full backup.
>> Sometimes they just want a reinstall. There are times when they
>> tell me not to backup because the data isn't important. In David's
>> response he seems worried about saving data so I wondered why he
>> wouldn't backup.
>>

>>> Why do you spend the additional time to clone an entire drive for
>>> a malware removal job?
>>
>> It doesn't take that long most of the time and it's a lot safer for
>> the user's data. In most cases it actually takes longer to install,
>> upgrade and reinstall software for the customer. Most of the time I
>> backup less than 150GB.

>>> Or, use the wrong screws and strip one of the drives :)

>>> I understand. It just seemed as if you were being a wiseass
>>> towards David, from my POV. I didn't personally see any need in
>>> doing that. We can all be professional and civil here.
>>
>> David was being a wiseass himself and I can understand why he
>> didn't respond. He seemed worried about losing data by simply
>> removing the system restore points so I naturally wondered why, a
>> backup can solve this problem. I guess he realized it was a good
>> idea so then he got snippy.

>>> Well, a backup is a good way of having an escape route should
>>> something go wrong. :) From a software aspect tho, I haven't
>>> really encountered much malware that would justify the time I
>>> spent on imaging the drive first. I wasn't in charge of billing
>>> tho, so that may have played a part in that.
>>
>> I don't work for any company I work freelance. Like I said most
>> backups are small and usually take from 20 minutes to a couple of
>> hours. I don't charge by the hour I charge by the job.

>>> I've written all kinds of old utility style apps, as you've been
>>> around so long you might know a few of them.. Cmoscon, encode,
>>> delock, and various others. If your into crypto/security, you
>>> might even know the old dos file/freespace wiping app called NuKE
>>> and/or possibly CryptX.
>>>

>> I've heard of some of those.
>>
>>> In more recent times, I developed an antimalware scanner (that's
>>> why I found your description on how they worked amusing. hehehe)
>>> called BugHunter. I did a stint as a malware researcher for an app
>>> called Malwarebytes antimalware..
>>>

>> I don't know why you would find it funny because a virus writer
>> will use anything to hide a virus. What smarter way is to hide them
>> in each and every folder in "system volume information"? I do
>> believe that what the system had was a variant of the Virtumonde
>> trojan. If you did research on malware then you know virus writers
>> will take existing malware and modify it. I found one thing to be
>> true in the world of malware, NOBODY knows everything about every
>> malware variant out there. You can believe me or not, it doesn't
>> matter.
>>
>> John
>
> You do appreciate that Dustin Cook was once a virus writer himself,

Does it matter that much, BD? Do you feel I haven't been honest with
the fellow and so you need to remind persons of that aspect?

> There is school of thought that suggests that once a computer has
> been compromised, one can never be *certain* that it is clean - and
> that it is always best to re-install the operating system ...... on
> a formatted hard disk, wiping out all partitions first.

That school of thought does exist, yes. I don't subscribe to it tho.

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.
From: Dustin on
ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:4c56ecb9.3069546(a)EDCBIC:

> ~BD~ wrote:
>>
>>You do appreciate that Dustin Cook was once a virus writer himself,
>>don't you, John?
>
> Your use of the word "was" suggests that he indeed did once fall
> into that category, and further that he no longer does.

Can you prove otherwise?

> Is that assumption based upon acceptance of his statements offered
> in a forum in which he himself has admitted to lying?

You don't have to accept my statements, just find one virus after the
year 2000 that you can link to me and you win. Or, option B, accept the
fact you won't be able to do that because I haven't written anything
virus related since Irok. Your choice. Either way, I still win.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dustin" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>

| That school of thought does exist, yes. I don't subscribe to it tho.

It does exist. However first you perform a Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA).

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave~no.spam~@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> ~BD~ forgot to add the link showing support for his view!
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512587.aspx

He added a qualifier here:

"If you have a system that has been completely compromised, the only thing
you can do is to flatten the system (reformat the system disk) and rebuild
it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your applications)."

I can agree with that. The thing is, what do you consider to be a compromise
and what do you consider to be a complete compromise?

If I discover a downloader downloaded some adware, I might just remove the
adware. If it downloaded some various and sundry other malware then the
"unknown" factor becomes prevalent - and flatten and rebuild becomes the
best route. A known trojan application for fake-AV scareware probably
doesn't require such drastic measures. If I figure the ingress vector was a,
since patched, vulnerability exploit worm, I wouldn't just automatically
assume that hackers have also used that exploits zero-day window to increase
the "unknown" factor - I would just address the worm.

Not that he's wrong, a healthy paranoia is a good security asset. The value
of the protected resource figures in heavily as well.

From: John Slade on
On 8/1/2010 2:46 PM, ~BD~ wrote:
> John Slade wrote:
>> On 8/1/2010 8:24 AM, Dustin wrote:
>>> John Slade<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in

>>> In more recent times, I developed an antimalware scanner (that's why I
>>> found your description on how they worked amusing. hehehe) called
>>> BugHunter. I did a stint as a malware researcher for an app called
>>> Malwarebytes antimalware..
>>>

>> I don't know why you would find it funny because a virus writer will use
>> anything to hide a virus. What smarter way is to hide them in each and
>> every folder in "system volume information"? I do believe that what the
>> system had was a variant of the Virtumonde trojan. If you did research
>> on malware then you know virus writers will take existing malware and
>> modify it. I found one thing to be true in the world of malware, NOBODY
>> knows everything about every malware variant out there. You can believe
>> me or not, it doesn't matter.
>>
>> John
>
> You do appreciate that Dustin Cook was once a virus writer himself,
> don't you, John?

I didn't know Dustin Cook existed until he responded for
you. But I've been reading some in alt.comp.viruses and I find
it well...interesting... If he wrote viruses then he more than
anyone should know that what I said happened is indeed possible.

> There is school of thought that suggests that once a computer has been
> compromised, one can never be *certain* that it is clean - and that it
> is always best to re-install the operating system ...... on a formatted
> hard disk, wiping out all partitions first.

That school of thought is pretty common but I've found
that the vast majority of infected systems can be saved without
reformatting and installing. It all depends on what the malware
is and how much damage has been done. If formatting every
infected HD at the sign of malware, very little data would be
saved unless you backup important data.

> I'm just a user - but that's how I think too! ;-)

I'm a user and I find that backups save me a lot of
trouble. I know my HD will fail. As a repair tech, I know my
customer's HD will fail so I backup. Some of my customers want
to save the data so I backup before I remove malware. Some don't
care and ask me to format and install.

I've been reading some in alt.comp.virus and it's pretty
amusing.... I'm starting to understand more and more why I'm
getting the responses I'm getting... ;)

John