From: Buffalo on

Steve Fenwick wrote:
> In article <Xns9DC91AB3EABD0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
>
> It might be a regionalism, or a Britishism/Americanism. In over 20
> years I've never used, or heard used, "soldering pencil" in a lab in
> the U.S., although I am familiar with the term. It's always been
> "soldering iron", whether a giant thing to solder heavy cables, or a
> tool suited to tiny ICs and SMT parts. Metcals are generally the best
> I've seen for small devices; they put a high temperature (typically
> 600 to 700F) into a very very small area very quickly (80W output).
>
> Steve

C'mon, you never heard of a soldering pen?
Buffalo

From: Dustin on
Steve Fenwick <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in

> In article <Xns9DC91AB3EABD0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
> Dustin <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> John Slade <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in
>
>> > I got my start in electronics and have a background in
>> > that too. I took college courses in electronics and am no
>> > stranger to repairing circuit boards. I'm no stranger to
>> > soldering irons. Well that's what we called them. I used to
>> > repair TVs, radios and such years ago.
>>
>> Odd. I'm familiar with soldering irons as well as pencils, and we
>> typically use the pencils for detail work that the iron generates
>> too much heat for. Irons aren't good for changing out small
>> transistors, IC's or caps due to the risk of damage, and especially
>> these days with a pile of components nearby the one that has to be
>> replaced; a pencil is the only way to safely do it. Lower wattage,
>> less heat.
>>

> It might be a regionalism, or a Britishism/Americanism. In over 20
> years I've never used, or heard used, "soldering pencil" in a lab in
> the U.S., although I am familiar with the term. It's always been
> "soldering iron", whether a giant thing to solder heavy cables, or a
> tool suited to tiny ICs and SMT parts. Metcals are generally the
> best I've seen for small devices; they put a high temperature
> (typically 600 to 700F) into a very very small area very quickly
> (80W output).
>
> Steve

80watts output would burn an IC up on a wave soldered board...

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Steve Fenwick" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>

| In article <Xns9DC91AB3EABD0HHI2948AJD832(a)69.16.185.247>,
| Dustin <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> John Slade <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in

>> > I got my start in electronics and have a background in
>> > that too. I took college courses in electronics and am no
>> > stranger to repairing circuit boards. I'm no stranger to
>> > soldering irons. Well that's what we called them. I used to
>> > repair TVs, radios and such years ago.

>> Odd. I'm familiar with soldering irons as well as pencils, and we
>> typically use the pencils for detail work that the iron generates too
>> much heat for. Irons aren't good for changing out small transistors,
>> IC's or caps due to the risk of damage, and especially these days with
>> a pile of components nearby the one that has to be replaced; a pencil
>> is the only way to safely do it. Lower wattage, less heat.

| It might be a regionalism, or a Britishism/Americanism. In over 20 years
| I've never used, or heard used, "soldering pencil" in a lab in the U.S.,
| although I am familiar with the term. It's always been "soldering iron",
| whether a giant thing to solder heavy cables, or a tool suited to tiny
| ICs and SMT parts. Metcals are generally the best I've seen for small
| devices; they put a high temperature (typically 600 to 700F) into a very
| very small area very quickly (80W output).

| Steve

I've always known the as "soldering irons" which goes back to the days prior to when the
were heated by and elecetric current when you put the iron in the fire, so to speak.

The best I ever had was powered by butane and used a catalyst to flamlessly burn the gas.
Great soldering iron, grat heat shrink device.

--
Dave

From: Dustin on

> On 8/2/2010 11:35 PM, Dustin wrote:
>> John Slade<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in

>>> I got my start in electronics and have a background in
>>> that too. I took college courses in electronics and am no
>>> stranger to repairing circuit boards. I'm no stranger to
>>> soldering irons. Well that's what we called them. I used to
>>> repair TVs, radios and such years ago.
>>
>> Odd. I'm familiar with soldering irons as well as pencils,
>
> Well most people I know call all of them "soldering irons"
> no matter the size.

That's like some electricians I know that call all 9" linemans pliers
klein, even tho they aren't. As klein is actually a company name.

While both are soldering irons, the smaller more detailed one is
commonly called a pencil and the other, for heavier soldering work; a
gun. For pretty obvious reasons; one looks like a gun, the other a big
fat crayon size pencil <G>

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm?model_list=1
&att_id=WEL012%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&att1=Soldering%
20Stations%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&att2=Replacement%
20Soldering%20Pencils

Soldering pencils by weller...

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm?model_list=1
&att_id=WEL001%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&att1=Soldering%
20and%20Heat%20Guns%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&att2=Soldering%20Gun%20Kits

Soldering gun by weller. Obviously, pictures alone show you why they
are called the respective things.

>>> When I need to repair a blown component like a bad sound
>>> card, video card or controller card, I replace it. I haven't
>>> needed to repair an actual circuit board for at least 15 years.
>>
>> So you haven't seen the leaking capacitor issue in your time
>> professionally repairing PCs? If you have, did you upsell your
>> client instead of replacing the caps? You can find them pretty
>> cheap, in 50- 100 packs; enough to do several boards...
>
> I've seen just about everything that can cause a MB or card
> to fail. I swap it out. I don't whip out a soldering iron at a
> client's house to fix a throw-away component like a mother board
> or card these days. It's just not worth the effort to get the
> actual schematics and replace a teeny tiny resistor that has no

I was talking specifically about the bad leaking capacitors; it takes
less than 10 minutes to determine what the board needs as far as those
go. Considering mainboards back when this was still a new issue were
atleast a bill for AT class, It was cheaper to replace the caps than
sell the customer a new mainboard. Not all shops did that route tho,
some would gladly take another bill or two from the customer to replace
a faulty component the store sold the customer just a few months back.

In some cases, an RMA was possible so the store wasn't out anything,
but in other cases, the store and the customer both lose if you can't
RMA the bad board.

> marking on it. You do of course know that not all components
> exhibit actual visual signs of failure so you have to get a
> meter to go in and test with a schematic on components. There is

I know that many components don't display visual failure signs, but in
fairness, I did cite a specific example; and a visual inspection would
clearly tell you if a cap suffered from this or not.

> other test equipment for motherboards Basically it would cost
> the client lots of money and time. Today's components are best
> replaced. Would you actually repair a $30 sound card?

A sound card isn't a mainboard. It really depends. If I can fix the
issue in a few minutes and not have to reinstall drivers or anything
else that goes along with swapping parts out, sure I would. Unless I
have an identical (right down to the revision and eeprom) card to go in
it's place; otherwise I have to get drivers and deal with windows
possibly being unhappy about the previous cards drivers, ad nausem.

>> You don't work with laptops much eh? They're bad about breaking the
>> power connector on the mainboard. In those cases, what do you do?
>
> I do some repairs on laptops like replace bad components. I
> don't do component level repairs when I can save time and money
> buying a replacement part. I let the good folk who make the
> laptop components to the refurbishing work.

Most of the time the component that needs replacing is a swap out, plug
and play kinda deal; even the cpu is this way most of the time. What
isn't that way is the little wire connectors on the laptops mainboard;
that will require a soldering pencil, or passing it off to be done by
someone else.

>>> I used Bitdefender's bootable CD to remove malware from the
>>> restore point files and it did not solve the problem. I rebooted
>>> and the malware was written there again. Only when I turned off
>>
>> If the malware was written back when you rebooted, you missed
>> something that was being given a chance to run when windows was
>> booted normally.
>>

> No that's not what happened. This conversation is going
> in circles, I told you what happened more than once.

You already explained you found a registry key pointing to starting the
missing file up. So if you didn't miss this, how else did it get there?

>>> system restore and when I rebooted, I got a popup stating that
>>> it couldn't find a file in the system restore folders that were
>>> deleted. Then I did a final scan and the malware was gone,
>>> system fixed.
>>
>> Again, thats on you for missing the file in the first place...
>> Nobody said you couldn't store a file in the system restore folder,
>> in fact you can.
>
> Well I'm glad we agree on something, it is possible for
> the malware to behave like I said it did. Now that we've got
> that cleared up. There is no need to waste my time explaining
> what happened yet again.

Have a good day John with your professional work n all.

From: Buffalo on

Dustin wrote:
> That's like some electricians I know that call all 9" linemans pliers
> klein, even tho they aren't. As klein is actually a company name.

Hey, how did you know I am a licensed electrician?
And yes, it is common in the trade to call them 'kleins', like in, 'can I
borrow your kleins?'
Buffalo :)