From: RJK on
....same old hair being split again an again :-)

....when someone dumps a system box in my lap, or pleads down the 'phone, he
or she often suspects that "...there's a virus in it."

:-)

regards, Richard

From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

>>> It's like people calling powdered drink mix from Flavor Aid,
>>> "Kool-Aid". I'm sure we've all heard the expression, "Drinking the
>>> Kool-Aid" when talking about someone who follows something or
>>> someone
>>> blindly. Well it came from the Jim Jones tragedy in Jonestown,
>>> Guyana.
>>> They drank poisonded Flavor Aid but most people still call it
>>> Kool-Aid.
>
> | Same sort of thing applies to crescent wrench (Crescent is a brand
> name
> | of a very popular open end adjustaqble wrench). Crowbar is another,
> | where a wrecking bar is almost always incorrectly called a crowbar.
> | Dykes are a misnomer for the shortening of the tool known as a
> "diagonal
> | cutter".
>
> | Most people don't care about using correct terminology, and so there
> is
> | often confusion and shouts of *mere semantics* when someone tries to
> | inform them.
>

> Mom always told me not to be anti semantic :-)

:oD

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> Mom always told me not to be anti semantic :-)

::oD

But then again...
Maybe Mom meant not to be anti Symantec ;-)

--
Dave

From: Dustin on
John Slade <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in news:G1j6o.53362$dx7.3611
@newsfe21.iad:

> "Virus" is both a generic term and a specific term. Why do
> you think they call the software used to clean trojans and
> worms, "Anti-Virus" software? I'm sure you don't think that they
> only clean viruses and leave trojans and worms alone. It's all a
> matter of semantics. Just about all of the major anti-malware
> vendors have products that they call Anti-Virus. This is because
> it just stuck. You're a professional and you don't know this?

The only people who think virus is a generic term are the ones who don't
know any better and wouldn't be considered professional in my book.

The reason virus isn't a generic term is because it describes a very
specific function and requirement of the software to be called a virus.

It's obvious to me atleast that you are someone who fixes computers and
you might even do a good job of it, but you aren't deserving of the title
professional. I do respect the knowledge you do have, but at this time, I
wouldn't agree with your self assessment.

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.
From: ~BD~ on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> Viruses are rather unique

Being pedantic and specific, FTR - explain why viruses are not simply
'unique' - are they is some way /rather/ special? ;-)

--
Dave - and all along I've thought 'malware' was the more modern term!