From: John Slade on
On 8/5/2010 2:42 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Wolf K"<wekirch(a)sympatico.ca>
>
> | On 05/08/2010 17:23, David H. Lipman wrote:
> | [...]
>>> I'm sorry, just because the "average" person calls all malware a "virus" does not make
>>> it
>>> correct and if you insist on following this train of thought, please do NOT call
>>> yourself
>>> a "professional."
>

> | Yeah, well,context rules. No matter how carefully people use terminology
> | in their professional lives, words will escape into the wild, and then
> | all bets are off.
>
> | It's context that determines a word's meaning. In every-day usage,
> | "anti-virus" has come to mean what "anti-malware" means in a
> | professional context. That's just the way it is. The first rule of
> | communication is "Adapt to your audience."
>
> You can't call all malware a virus just beciuse you use anti virus software. It doesn't
> work that way and is a miconception and misnomer.
>
> If a majority of people have a misperception of a concept, their majority does not change
> the concept.

Actually because a great number of people use a phrase for
something other than it's initial meaning, a word's meaning can
change. Much of the English language has been formed this way.
Look at the word "cool" it means more than just the temperature.
In fact some things that are really "hot" these days can also be
"cool".

John

From: John Slade on
On 8/6/2010 3:11 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>
>
> | On 8/5/2010 8:36 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> From: "FromTheRafters"<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>>> G-d I missed this.
>
>>> "...acid core and solid core capacitors..." it is as funny as the furniture polish on
>>> the
>>> feather to claen the dust out of the computer.
>
>>> I guess it is easier to write acid then electrolytic.
>

> | Both are correct, you call yourself a professional and you
> | don't know that many "wet" capacitors use acid electrolytes?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

And acid core capacitors are wet capacitors. Now let me
ask you this. Would you repair a motherboard that has several
bulging electrolytic capacitors rather than replace the
motherboard? I'm still waiting for Dustin to tell me when was
the last time he repaired a sound card and what it was.

John

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

| On 8/5/2010 2:42 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "Wolf K"<wekirch(a)sympatico.ca>

>> | On 05/08/2010 17:23, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> | [...]

>> | Yeah, well,context rules. No matter how carefully people use terminology
>> | in their professional lives, words will escape into the wild, and then
>> | all bets are off.

>> | It's context that determines a word's meaning. In every-day usage,
>> | "anti-virus" has come to mean what "anti-malware" means in a
>> | professional context. That's just the way it is. The first rule of
>> | communication is "Adapt to your audience."

>> You can't call all malware a virus just beciuse you use anti virus software. It
>> doesn't
>> work that way and is a miconception and misnomer.

>> If a majority of people have a misperception of a concept, their majority does not
>> change
>> the concept.

| Actually because a great number of people use a phrase for
| something other than it's initial meaning, a word's meaning can
| change. Much of the English language has been formed this way.
| Look at the word "cool" it means more than just the temperature.
| In fact some things that are really "hot" these days can also be
| "cool".

Jargon and coloquial speech is not proper English and is only for very informal
converstations. Never on technical discussions.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

| And acid core capacitors are wet capacitors. Now let me
| ask you this. Would you repair a motherboard that has several
| bulging electrolytic capacitors rather than replace the
| motherboard? I'm still waiting for Dustin to tell me when was
| the last time he repaired a sound card and what it was.

I would consider such a circuit board to have compromised integrity and not being worthy
of repair, only replacement.

--
Dave

From: Wolf K on
On 06/08/2010 16:51, David H. Lipman wrote:
[...]
> Jargon and colloquial speech is not proper English and is only for very informal
> conversations. Never on technical discussions.

For every context there is a proper register (that's a technical term).
You violate it at your peril. But be careful: just because you're among
truckers doesn't mean you can talk like one. That is, truckers among
themselves is one context, truckers with you present is another.

"Good communicators" are skilled at adapting their speech and writing to
the context.

cheers,
wolf k.