From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dustin" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>>| "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>| Horrible, but there's nothing particularly nice in the phrase about
>>| raping young girls ... willing or not.

>>| ...but as you said, people remember through mnemonics.

>> It isn't politically correct - no. But, it is memorable.

>> But I remember contoversy over male and female plugs and IDE
>> Master-Slave relationships. Political Correctness - overkill.

| LOL, so thats why Sata has no master or slave? :)

Yeah, they also dropped the 'n' :-)

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>

| On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:26:47 -0400, in <i3ptfm01lcf(a)news6.newsguy.com>,
| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>From: "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>

>>| What I do with this class of virus:
>>| 1. Turn off System Restore and delete all restore points.
>>| 2. Note the names and locations of infected files.
>>| 3. Boot from something like Ultimate Boot CD
>>| <http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/>, and delete the infections.
>>| Turn System Restore back on when disinfected.

>>John, the fisrt time I have seen you post here :-)

>>Actually, not a good idea as if you are dealing with a file infecting virus then you
>>will
>>have *numerous* legiimate files being deleted and thus a corrupted OS that is no longer
>>bootable.

>>Either you use an anti virus and "clean" the infected files or, wipe and
>>reinstall/re-image.

| I was specifically referring to virus files that are _not_ part of
| necessary executables. When necessary parts of the OS are infected,
| then I restore them from backup, which I think it preferable to trying
| to disinfect them, all too often an imperfect process.

You weren't specific John so it needed qualification.

--
Dave

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:51:53 -0400, in <i3q4340h85(a)news4.newsguy.com>,
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>
>
>| On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:26:47 -0400, in <i3ptfm01lcf(a)news6.newsguy.com>,
>| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>>From: "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>

>>>John, the fisrt time I have seen you post here :-)
>
>>>Actually, not a good idea as if you are dealing with a file infecting virus then you
>>>will
>>>have *numerous* legiimate files being deleted and thus a corrupted OS that is no longer
>>>bootable.
>
>>>Either you use an anti virus and "clean" the infected files or, wipe and
>>>reinstall/re-image.
>
>| I was specifically referring to virus files that are _not_ part of
>| necessary executables. When necessary parts of the OS are infected,
>| then I restore them from backup, which I think it preferable to trying
>| to disinfect them, all too often an imperfect process.
>
>You weren't specific John so it needed qualification.

I thought "this class of virus" would be specific enough,
but you're right that I should have been clearer,
and I thank you for the clarification.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>

>>You weren't specific John so it needed qualification.

| I thought "this class of virus" would be specific enough,
| but you're right that I should have been clearer,
| and I thank you for the clarification.

Thank you for all the networking information you have provided over the years.

BTW: Your Thwate email cert. expired in January.

--
Dave

From: John Slade on
On 8/9/2010 3:42 PM, John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:26:47 -0400, in<i3ptfm01lcf(a)news6.newsguy.com>,
> "David H. Lipman"<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>> From: "John Navas"<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>
>>
>> | What I do with this class of virus:
>> | 1. Turn off System Restore and delete all restore points.
>> | 2. Note the names and locations of infected files.
>> | 3. Boot from something like Ultimate Boot CD
>> |<http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/>, and delete the infections.
>> | Turn System Restore back on when disinfected.
>>
>> John, the fisrt time I have seen you post here :-)
>>
>> Actually, not a good idea as if you are dealing with a file infecting virus then you will
>> have *numerous* legiimate files being deleted and thus a corrupted OS that is no longer
>> bootable.
>>
>> Either you use an anti virus and "clean" the infected files or, wipe and
>> reinstall/re-image.
>
> I was specifically referring to virus files that are _not_ part of
> necessary executables. When necessary parts of the OS are infected,
> then I restore them from backup, which I think it preferable to trying
> to disinfect them, all too often an imperfect process.

I do the same thing. Sometimes I do a repair reinstall
if it's Windows XP then do the updates.

John