From: Dustin on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
news:i3fa1d0cj5(a)news4.newsguy.com:

> From: "John Slade" <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>
>
>| On 8/4/2010 1:53 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> From: "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>

>>> Sorry John - No.
>
>| Well it's time you learned.
>
> I've been studying malware since I had to erradicate the
> "Jerusalem.B" from a Novell 2.11 network. That was a true file
> infecting virus. I have been at this long enough to say
> emphatically, YOU need to learn otherwise do NOT call yourself a
> professional.

IAWTP

--
"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike
your Christ." - author unknown.
From: Dustin on
John Slade <hhitman86(a)pacbell.net> wrote in

> On 8/6/2010 1:56 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "John Slade"<hhitman86(a)pacbell.net>
>>

>> | And acid core capacitors are wet capacitors. Now let me
>> | ask you this. Would you repair a motherboard that has several
>> | bulging electrolytic capacitors rather than replace the
>> | motherboard? I'm still waiting for Dustin to tell me when was
>> | the last time he repaired a sound card and what it was.
>>
>> I would consider such a circuit board to have compromised integrity
>> and not being worthy of repair, only replacement.
>>

> Now tell Dustin Cook that please. He doesn't seem to
> get that point.

That's because I have a strong background in electronics, John. And in
some cases, integrity can be verified via a thorough and rigourous
system burn in. You can stress test a system after doing such a repair
to make sure she's going to keep running, or you can just replace the
whole board if your unsure of the board or your ability to properly
replace the caps.

either way you wish to do it, it can be done.

From: ~BD~ on
Peter Foldes wrote:
> I do. It has been there for a while

You don't count!
From: FromTheRafters on
"Dustin" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

> A manager I once had was like that. I stood back and watched him burn
> up 3 brand new mainboards right off the shelf, before he bothered to
> check the voltage levels of the power supply. I only suggested as a
> lowly employee at the time when the first one blew a couple of caps
> right off of it that he might want to check the power supply. As he
> was
> "manager" and been there longer than me, he dismissed the advice and
> wasted two more boards he didn't need to kill. The power supply was
> putting out just under 38 volts on the 12volt rail. I'm sure you can
> imagine the effects on a new board when he'd try to power them on. :)

Yep, blasting caps.

(not acid core - whatever that means)

One time on a high power HF trsansmitter IPA stage, a tube shorted and
apparently put plate voltage on the control grid. Several capacitors
"blew" and spread foil and paper all over the unit. Really, it went off
like a barrel bomb.

From: John Navas on
What I do with this class of virus:
1. Turn off System Restore and delete all restore points.
2. Note the names and locations of infected files.
3. Boot from something like Ultimate Boot CD
<http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/>, and delete the infections.
Turn System Restore back on when disinfected.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 04:51:56 GMT, in
<i2lolb$s5r$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>