From: John Navas on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 20:02:24 -0400, in <i3q4mq0hgl(a)news4.newsguy.com>,
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>
>
>>>You weren't specific John so it needed qualification.
>
>| I thought "this class of virus" would be specific enough,
>| but you're right that I should have been clearer,
>| and I thank you for the clarification.
>
>Thank you for all the networking information you have provided over the years.
>
>BTW: Your Thwate email cert. expired in January.

Yep. Thwate shut down that service.

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: FromTheRafters on
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:51:53 -0400, in <i3q4340h85(a)news4.newsguy.com>,
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>From: "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>
>>
>>| On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:26:47 -0400, in
>><i3ptfm01lcf(a)news6.newsguy.com>,

>>| I was specifically referring to virus files that are _not_ part of
>>| necessary executables. When necessary parts of the OS are infected,
>>| then I restore them from backup, which I think it preferable to
>>trying
>>| to disinfect them, all too often an imperfect process.
>>
>>You weren't specific John so it needed qualification.
>
> I thought "this class of virus" would be specific enough,
> but you're right that I should have been clearer,
> and I thank you for the clarification.

Just curious, what did you mean by 'this class of virus' and the
infection of possibly needed executables?

....and yes, if you have a good backup you're golden - much more
preferable to replace than to disinfect.

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 20:39:32 -0400, in
<i3q747$ago$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "FromTheRafters"
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> I thought "this class of virus" would be specific enough,
>> but you're right that I should have been clearer,
>> and I thank you for the clarification.
>
>Just curious, what did you mean by 'this class of virus' and the
>infection of possibly needed executables?

I meant the class of virus that implants its own executable files,
and protects them from most methods of removal. Sorry for not being
more clear.

--
John

"We have met the enemy and he is us" -Pogo
From: David Kaye on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Horrible, but there's nothing particularly nice in the phrase about
>raping young girls ... willing or not.

No, of course not, but in those days (and my dad told me he'd first heard the
phrase during World War II radio duty) electronics was a man's game -- not
just a man's game, but a "man's man" game, not unlike car repair, boxing, or
icing.

From: David Kaye on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>I thought it was Ohm's law.

I was a rebel in high schoo. I even violated Ohm's law a few times on the
weekends...

>BTW why are you replying to Dustin, quoting me, and telling John about
>solder?

Uh, I'm schizophrenic?