From: W. eWatson on
As was suggested in a thread above, I went off to look for Win7 help on
a MS Forum. I chose MS TechNet. It seems pretty slow going there. My
question seems easy enough.

I have a new HP PC and would like to create a Backup disk for the OS or
whatever else might needed to rebuild the software in the event of a
failure. I have not added anything to the system yet. HP's help says
nothing about what account one should be on to do this. It just shows
the step. It seems very much like it should be done as Admin. I
understand that's hidden, but have instructions on how to get to it. So
what's the answer? Secondly, did MS deliberately hide the Admin account
because it should not be used for every day operations, but only as
needed to do Admin work?
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> said this in news item
> As was suggested in a thread above, I went off to look for Win7 help on a
> MS Forum. I chose MS TechNet. It seems pretty slow going there. My
> question seems easy enough.
>
> I have a new HP PC and would like to create a Backup disk for the OS or
> whatever else might needed to rebuild the software in the event of a
> failure. I have not added anything to the system yet. HP's help says
> nothing about what account one should be on to do this. It just shows the
> step. It seems very much like it should be done as Admin. I understand
> that's hidden, but have instructions on how to get to it. So what's the
> answer? Secondly, did MS deliberately hide the Admin account because it
> should not be used for every day operations, but only as needed to do
> Admin work?

Sorry, the Windows 7 boot environment is radically different from the one
you find in Windows XP. You really need to ask the experts in a Win7 forum,
even if it is a little slow for your liking. You could try here:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7.

From: W. eWatson on
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> "W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> said this in news item
>> As was suggested in a thread above, I went off to look for Win7 help
>> on a MS Forum. I chose MS TechNet. It seems pretty slow going there.
>> My question seems easy enough.
>>
>> I have a new HP PC and would like to create a Backup disk for the OS
>> or whatever else might needed to rebuild the software in the event of
>> a failure. I have not added anything to the system yet. HP's help says
>> nothing about what account one should be on to do this. It just shows
>> the step. It seems very much like it should be done as Admin. I
>> understand that's hidden, but have instructions on how to get to it.
>> So what's the answer? Secondly, did MS deliberately hide the Admin
>> account because it should not be used for every day operations, but
>> only as needed to do Admin work?
>
> Sorry, the Windows 7 boot environment is radically different from the
> one you find in Windows XP. You really need to ask the experts in a Win7
> forum, even if it is a little slow for your liking. You could try here:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7.
Thanks. I posted there a moment ago. I guess "social" and TechNet forums
all hang together. I was logged in under both.

I decided to jump in by using the Rescue Disk instructions. I put in a
DVD at the prompt, and asked for a backup. After a baffling number of
instructions that provided no clue as to what I requested was actually
completed, I stopped and completed the post there. The silence was very
strange. Maybe I'll know some time soon.
From: Daave on
W. eWatson wrote:
> As was suggested in a thread above, I went off to look for Win7 help
> on a MS Forum. I chose MS TechNet. It seems pretty slow going there.
> My question seems easy enough.

How about trying this newgroup:

Hopefully, you'll get quicker responses.

From: Patrick Keenan on
"W. eWatson" <wolftracks(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> As was suggested in a thread above, I went off to look for Win7 help on a
> MS Forum. I chose MS TechNet. It seems pretty slow going there. My
> question seems easy enough.
>
> I have a new HP PC and would like to create a Backup disk for the OS or
> whatever else might needed to rebuild the software in the event of a
> failure. I have not added anything to the system yet. HP's help says
> nothing about what account one should be on to do this. It just shows the
> step. It seems very much like it should be done as Admin. I understand
> that's hidden, but have instructions on how to get to it. So what's the
> answer? Secondly, did MS deliberately hide the Admin account because it
> should not be used for every day operations, but only as needed to do
> Admin work?

These backups often just create images of everything on the drive. You
want to do this before you get much further. Be sure that you have enough
discs on hand - the utility should telll you how many you need (as CD-R or
DVD-R).

I would actually suggest doing the base install, then creating an image of
the drive as it is using software such as Acronis TrueImage. If you don't
image to a hard disk, you will likely need two or more DVDs for the image
file.

It's also worth contacting HP support now and attempting to purchase restore
DVDs. These often cost around $30 or so, and are worth it.

I do basic installs, then attach the drive to my bench system and create an
image to hard disk. In case of disaster, I can restore the image, to a new
hard disk if necessary, and be running again in under an hour. If
restoring to a new drive, I can then recover data with somewhat more leisure
and less time pressure.

As to the account, you need to be using an account with administrator
rights. It is not necessary to use the built-in Administrator account, it
can be any user account with Administrator rights. In fact, in the default
setting, you may be completely unable to do this from the Administrator
account.

And yes, the Administrator account is disabled by default on at least some
Win 7 versions, as on some Vista versions, so that it can't be used as a
daily account or left wide open as a security hole. However, the rationale
for this decision seems somewhat flawed since the Administrator account
first has to be enabled from another user account, but you can't enable it
if you can't get into a user account because the only user account is
corrupted.

So, it's not a bad idea to enable it, and put a decent password on it, which
you change periodically.

HTH
-pk