From: Jackson on
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:36:13 GMT, "dadiOH" <dadiOH(a)guesswhere.com>
wrote:

>Jackson wrote:
>> /.../
>>>
>>> One can't just copy audio CDs, one must "extract" (AKA "rip") the
>>> data from them to either MP3 (compessed) or wave (not compressed).
>>> What is the file extension of the files on your hard drive? If WAV
>>> or MP3 or any other codec available in Winamp's input plug-in list,
>>> Winamp will play just fine.
>>>
>>> Free rippers...
>>>
>>> CDex
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
>>>
>>> Audiograbber
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
>>
>> Thanks. I downloaded Cdex and installed it, but when I tried to
>> configure it I got the error message:
>>
>> "The Microsoft layer for Unicode failed to initialize. Please
>> reinstall"
>>
>> How do I go about doing that?
>
>I have no idea, sounds like a Windows problem. Tried rebooting?

Well, it's kind of moot. I ran the program and the default
directories, etc. work fine for me. I got what I wanted - the bird
calls in WAV format. Surprisingly (to me), the calls take up three to
six megabytes of space altho they play for only 15 - 25 seconds. I
think I'll re-rip them in MP3 format.

Thanks for the CDex tip. I'll rename it with a more descriptive title
so I'll know what it does and keep it for future use, altho I doubt
that I'll be ripping anything else. This was my first time at
ripping, and those bird calls is the only CD that I own. I hope that
renaming the exe file is not illegal. :>)

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida
From: James L. Liles on
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:14:05 -0500, Jackson <jackdinsss(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

:->Well, it's kind of moot. I ran the program and the default
:->directories, etc. work fine for me. I got what I wanted - the bird
:->calls in WAV format. Surprisingly (to me), the calls take up three to
:->six megabytes of space altho they play for only 15 - 25 seconds. I
:->think I'll re-rip them in MP3 format.
:->
:->Thanks for the CDex tip. I'll rename it with a more descriptive title
:->so I'll know what it does and keep it for future use, altho I doubt
:->that I'll be ripping anything else. This was my first time at
:->ripping, and those bird calls is the only CD that I own. I hope that
:->renaming the exe file is not illegal. :>)

You might want to think about creating a shortcut and/or folder that
identifies the program. Keeping the original name might be better in
case you need to update it.
It might also be worth creating a txt file in the folder with notes on
how to use the program.

--

I hope that this helps. 8-)

To reply by E-mail, just click reply.
From: dadiOH on
Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:36:13 GMT, "dadiOH" <dadiOH(a)guesswhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Jackson wrote:
>>> /.../

>>> Thanks. I downloaded Cdex and installed it, but when I tried to
>>> configure it I got the error message:
>>>
>>> "The Microsoft layer for Unicode failed to initialize. Please
>>> reinstall"
>>>
>>> How do I go about doing that?
>>
>> I have no idea, sounds like a Windows problem. Tried rebooting?
>
> Well, it's kind of moot. I ran the program and the default
> directories, etc. work fine for me. I got what I wanted - the bird
> calls in WAV format. Surprisingly (to me), the calls take up three to
> six megabytes of space altho they play for only 15 - 25 seconds. I
> think I'll re-rip them in MP3 format.

Waves = 10.584 MB/sec. No need to re-rip, just use CDex to encode the waves
to MP3.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: dadiOH on
James L. Liles wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:14:05 -0500, Jackson <jackdinsss(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> :->Well, it's kind of moot. I ran the program and the default
> :->directories, etc. work fine for me. I got what I wanted - the bird
> :->calls in WAV format. Surprisingly (to me), the calls take up
> three to :->six megabytes of space altho they play for only 15 - 25
> seconds. I :->think I'll re-rip them in MP3 format.
> :->
> :->Thanks for the CDex tip. I'll rename it with a more descriptive
> title :->so I'll know what it does and keep it for future use, altho
> I doubt :->that I'll be ripping anything else. This was my first
> time at :->ripping, and those bird calls is the only CD that I own.
> I hope that :->renaming the exe file is not illegal. :>)
>
> You might want to think about creating a shortcut and/or folder that
> identifies the program. Keeping the original name might be better in
> case you need to update it.

Or uninstall it.

--

dadiOH