From: Jackson on
I hope this isn't too far off topic. I can't find a newsgroup for
NullSoft or WinAmp.

I bought a bird book that comes with a CD rom with bird calls in
format CDA (whatever that is).

It plays fine thru NullSoft WinAmp from the CD Rom. To avoid having
to fool around with the CD, I copied the calls to a folder on my
desktop, but WinAmp refuses to play it from there. The CD rom is an
audio format. Maybe Win98 changed something when it copied the calls
to the desktop. I'm just guessing.

Any way that I can make WinAmp play the calls from the desktop folder?

Perhaps I can change the CDA files to MP3 files. I know WinAmp plays
those. Is there a program to do that?

I suspect that the problem is between audio recordings being
transferred to data files, but I don't know how to handle it.

Another clue. When I open the calls on the CD I get stuff like:
Track01.cda 1 kb ...Winamp ...etc
When I open the calls transferred to the dessktop I get:
1.unknown 0.25

Evidently something was lost in the transfer.

any help appreciated.

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida
From: David Fairbrother on
http://www.coolutils.com/Formats/CDA
converter for CDA files to MP3 (and a few others)
unsure as to what limits the trial version, but it appears to be $20 for
the full version.

From: dadiOH on
Jackson wrote:
> I hope this isn't too far off topic. I can't find a newsgroup for
> NullSoft or WinAmp.
>
> I bought a bird book that comes with a CD rom with bird calls in
> format CDA (whatever that is).

It is just the format of all audio CDs. The HD equivalent is wave.
_______________

> It plays fine thru NullSoft WinAmp from the CD Rom. To avoid having
> to fool around with the CD, I copied the calls to a folder on my
> desktop, but WinAmp refuses to play it from there. The CD rom is an
> audio format. Maybe Win98 changed something when it copied the calls
> to the desktop. I'm just guessing.

One can't just copy audio CDs, one must "extract" (AKA "rip") the data from
them to either MP3 (compessed) or wave (not compressed). What is the file
extension of the files on your hard drive? If WAV or MP3 or any other codec
available in Winamp's input plug-in list, Winamp will play just fine.

Free rippers...

CDex
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

Audiograbber
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Jackson on
/.../

>One can't just copy audio CDs, one must "extract" (AKA "rip") the data from
>them to either MP3 (compessed) or wave (not compressed). What is the file
>extension of the files on your hard drive? If WAV or MP3 or any other codec
>available in Winamp's input plug-in list, Winamp will play just fine.
>
>Free rippers...
>
>CDex
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
>
>Audiograbber
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

Thanks. I downloaded Cdex and installed it, but when I tried to
configure it I got the error message:

"The Microsoft layer for Unicode failed to initialize. Please
reinstall"

How do I go about doing that?

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida
From: dadiOH on
Jackson wrote:
> /.../
>>
>> One can't just copy audio CDs, one must "extract" (AKA "rip") the
>> data from them to either MP3 (compessed) or wave (not compressed).
>> What is the file extension of the files on your hard drive? If WAV
>> or MP3 or any other codec available in Winamp's input plug-in list,
>> Winamp will play just fine.
>>
>> Free rippers...
>>
>> CDex
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
>>
>> Audiograbber
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
>
> Thanks. I downloaded Cdex and installed it, but when I tried to
> configure it I got the error message:
>
> "The Microsoft layer for Unicode failed to initialize. Please
> reinstall"
>
> How do I go about doing that?

I have no idea, sounds like a Windows problem. Tried rebooting?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

 |  Next  |  Last