From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:35:07 GMT, "Mario" <imnot(a)home.com> wrote:

> Hi I'm running XP Pro.

> I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports.
>
> Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust settles?

Several points:

1. The bad reports you've heard about Vista are mostly the result of
people who have had problems with it that they have caused
*themselves*.

If, for example, you read about Vista problems in the Vista
newsgroups, of course you see problems there. They are support groups.
People go there *because* they have problems and are looking for
solutions (and most of the time they get solutions). Groups like them
are far from representative of the world at large.

As someone else once said, hang around a transmission shop for a
while, and you'll think that all cars have transmission problems.

2. If you think that the dust needs to settle on Windows 7, I
completely disagree. It's fine.

3. My view is that XP was just fine, Vista was even better, and
Windows 7 is better still.

But here's my standard message on this subject:

My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
operating system should be driven by need, not just because there is a
new version available. Are you having a problem with Windows XP that
you expect Windows 7 to solve? Do you have or expect to get new
hardware or software that is supported in Windows 7, but not in XP? Is
there some new feature in Windows 7 that you need or yearn for? Does
your job require you have skills in Windows 7? Are you a computer
hobbyist who enjoys playing with whatever is newest?

If the answer to one or more of those questions is yes (and your
hardware is adequate for Windows 7), then you should get Windows 7.
Otherwise most people should stick with what they have. There is
*always* a learning curve and a potential for problems when you take a
step as big as this one, regardless of how wonderful whatever you're
contemplating moving to is. Sooner or later you'll have to upgrade (to
Windows 7 or its successor) because you'll want support for hardware
or software that you can't get in XP, but don't rush it.

I say all the above despite the fact that I'm a big Windows 7 fan. I
think it's the best and most stable of all versions of Windows.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Thip on

"Mario" <imnot(a)home.com> wrote in message
> Hi I'm running XP Pro.
> I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports.
>
> Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust
> settles?
>

> M.

Are you satisfied with XP? Does it meet your needs? Is there something you
could do with Windows 7 you can't do with XP?

I've always believed if it ain't broke, don't fix it. "Better" is a
relative term. What's "better" for 50 other people may be absolutely wrong
for you.

From: Buffalo on

VanguardLH wrote:
> Mario wrote:
>
>> Hi I'm running XP Pro.
>> I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports.
>>
>> Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust
>> settles?
>>
>> M.
>
> Decide for yourself just what EXACTLY you have now that would benefit
> from changing to a *new* operating system. Decide for yourself just
> what is the "magic" that a new operating system will give you. If
> you can't answer those questions then why do you think that you need
> a new OS? Do you change the tires on your car simply because the
> tire manufacturer came out with a newer model of them?

What other reason would there be to change your tires, unless they are worn
out?
Buffalo