From: Mario on
Hi I'm running XP Pro.
I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports.

Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust settles?

M.

From: Bill in Co. on
What does "better" mean?

From: Shenan Stanley on
Mario wrote:
> I'm running XP Pro.
> I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports.
>
> Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust
> settles?

I started pushing Windows 7 the first day I could. I have been using
Windows 7 since it was Released To Manufacturing. I do prefer it to Windows
Vista - although I will be the first to say that some of the Vista bad-press
was just that - bad press. I ran Windows Vista with only a few issues here
and there for a long time. However - I did 'jump ship' and go Windows 7
ASAP.

If you are considering upgrading your current machine...

If I had a machine with 2+GB memory, dual(or more) core 2+Ghz processor and
100+GB hard disk drive and 256+MB video card (not shared memory) - I would
likely upgrade it if it was running any Windows OS less than Windows 7.

However I already know (have checked with software vendor sites for those
who made my software and/or tried it on other Windows 7 machines; have
verified driver compatibility for Windows 7 from hardware vendors, etc) it
will work when I do so.

So - my advice to you, answer these questions, act on your own answers:

1) Does your system meet the sparse hardware specs I gave? Exceed them?
2) Have you checked with the software vendors of the software you have
installed (version included) via their web pages/FAQs/calling them to see if
it will run on Windows 7?
3) Have you checked with the hardware manufacturers of the hardware in your
machine/attached to your machine/occassionally connected to your machine to
verify they have drivers for/support their hardware under Windows 7?
4) Do you have current backups of all your important data (documents,
spreadsheets, images, music, contacts, emails, databases, serial numbers,
installation media, product keys, bookmarks/internet favorites, etc)?
5) Do you have copies of all the installation media (operating system,
office suites, media editing applications, other software you have
downloaded, installed, etc and use) for all of your software and the serial
numbers/product keys for said software stored separately (away from) the
computer in case of catastrophic failure?

*NOTE* - going to Windows 7 from Windows XP would require a clean
installation or a pass through Windows Vista at the very least. No direct
path exists that keeps your installation (current) intact.

If you are considering a new machine - consider the same specs I have given
for hardware, know any leftover/follow-over hardware/peripherals/software
you have will work (or not) with Windows 7 and go. So far no one I have
helped make the jump has said anything bad about the OS - in fact many have
commented how much faster it seems.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: VanguardLH on
Mario wrote:

> Hi I'm running XP Pro.
> I chose not to try Vista due to all the bad reports.
>
> Is Windows 7 any better or should I stay with XP Pro until the dust settles?
>
> M.

Decide for yourself just what EXACTLY you have now that would benefit from
changing to a *new* operating system. Decide for yourself just what is the
"magic" that a new operating system will give you. If you can't answer
those questions then why do you think that you need a new OS? Do you change
the tires on your car simply because the tire manufacturer came out with a
newer model of them?
From: Leonard Grey on
What's your definition of "better"? Maybe what's "better" to me is worse
to you?

I suggest reading the reviews of Windows 7. You might find a few on the
internet. <snicker>

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est