From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:52:59 -0600:

> Three days ago I have replaced Win XP with Windows 7
> and since first day I have problem with Eudora 7.1

Thank you. I am not going to replace XP (the best Windows yet made)
until they pry it out of my cold dead body's hands :)

Although not directly related to the explicit issue you mention,
it is good to check "Help" > "About Eudora"
and make sure that the "Data:" path (for all mail and settings)
is NOT contained within the system "program files" folder,
where, unless the security features are deliberately disabled,
Vista and Windows 7 do not permit applications to write or update anything
(i.e. your mail and settings will never get updated,
so they should never be stored there).

> My problems are when Eudora downloads emails.
> I have 6 account, Eudora downloads 3 accunts regularly, then gets
> stuck on 3rd account for 1 minute or more and then it goes again regularly.

Does that account's incoming server use SSL?

Does "stuck, and then it goes again regularly"
mean that after launching Eudora,
only the very first "check mail" is delayed
(or its remote server may even time out and disconnect),
but then "check mail" is never again delayed,
so long as Eudora remains running?

This does not cause any data loss, even if the remote server
is impatient and disconnects -- there is only one pause,
only once after Eudora is first launched,
then never again as long as Eudora is running.

For more (and possibly surprising) info about this, see:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=14440

From: AroundTheWorld on
>Does that account's incoming server use SSL?

I'm sorry if I am not expert. Where can I verify if my Eudora uses SSL
server?

>Does "stuck, and then it goes again regularly"
>mean that after launching Eudora,
>only the very first "check mail" is delayed
>(or its remote server may even time out and disconnect),
>but then "check mail" is never again delayed,
>so long as Eudora remains running?

Sure, it is so ok. You are right.

>This does not cause any data loss, even if the remote server
>is impatient and disconnects -- there is only one pause,
>only once after Eudora is first launched,
>then never again as long as Eudora is running.

Yes you are right.

>For more (and possibly surprising) info about this, see:
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=14440

Now I am enough happy. I have just followed your suggestion about this
link and I have chosen Win 95 compatibility. Now Eudora works fine but
....... now I have a little and different problem. I see Eudora with a
different colour but especially the Windows 7 taskbar (on the bottom)
is no longer transparent but it has become heavenly. I have this
problem when Eudora is opened. If I shut down Eudora everithing is
normal.

Thanks for your suggestions.
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:04:55 -0600

> Where can I verify if Eudora uses SSL

It's the servers you specify in Eudora for your accounts,
which may or may not use SSL,
according to what each server operator tells you
(they don't all tell me :)

For each server, there is one of the following choices:

Secure Sockets (SSL) when Receiving (for incoming servers)

Secure Sockets (SSL) when Sending (for outgoing servers)

You have made those choices yourself
(hopefully according to instructions you got from server operators :)

> I have just followed your suggestion about this link...
> and I have chosen Win 95 compatibility. Now Eudora works fine but...

As the Qualcomm forum post suggested,
setting Eudora's "compatibility mode" to a very old version of Windows
may have some other effect, besides just on SSL negotiation.

Windows 7 (and Vista) may even have to suspend some of its own display features,
it would appear, to accommodate such modes in any application that is running.

Apparently you can have "either, or" but not everything you want, all at the same time.

Like some other aspects of life :)

Best wishes and happy new year.