From: Mel on
I currently have a disktop, laptop, and netbook. They all run XP and work
fine together. I currently can access some key files on my desktop via the
other computers and they all access a printer attached to the desktop. My
modem and router are attached to the desktop.

My laptop may be on its last legs. If I buy a new laptop with Windows 7,
will it still attach to my XP computers and access the internet as I
currently do?

Also, I use WORD 97 and WORKS 4.5. I have been able to install those
programs on my XP computers. Will I be able to install those items on my
new laptop?

Finally, I do find the command prompt useful at times (I even utilize some
old DOS commands). Will I be able to do this with Windows 7?

Is there a huge learning curve to go from XP to 7, or is it relatively easy.
Of course, an alternative might be to just buy a used laptop with XP!

Mel

From: Pen on
On 4/24/2010 2:59 PM, Mel wrote:
> I currently have a disktop, laptop, and netbook. They all run XP and work
> fine together. I currently can access some key files on my desktop via the
> other computers and they all access a printer attached to the desktop. My
> modem and router are attached to the desktop.
>
> My laptop may be on its last legs. If I buy a new laptop with Windows 7,
> will it still attach to my XP computers and access the internet as I
> currently do?
>
> Also, I use WORD 97 and WORKS 4.5. I have been able to install those
> programs on my XP computers. Will I be able to install those items on my
> new laptop?
>
> Finally, I do find the command prompt useful at times (I even utilize some
> old DOS commands). Will I be able to do this with Windows 7?
>
> Is there a huge learning curve to go from XP to 7, or is it relatively easy.
> Of course, an alternative might be to just buy a used laptop with XP!
>
> Mel

I recently replaced my desktop with XP with one using Win7
64 bit. I was able to install works 4.5a but it was a bit of
a struggle. I got it to work by installing into "Program
Files" after having problems with installs into "Program
Files(x86)", which is where newer stuff seems to want to go.
It seemed to confuse Works. Not unreasonable since Works was
current in Win 95 days. Word 97 should also work as it's a
similar vintage as Works 4.5. 32 bit Win7 doesn't have this
problem so if you have a lot of XP machines and older
software 32 bit Win7 might be a better choice. I have a
netbook with 32 bit starter Win7 and it seems to work ok
even though I liked XP a lot. I'm changing because the
future is Win7 out in the corporate world, so even though
I'm old I'm trying to get with it.

Networking is another problem. Win7 wants to take charge of
the world if you let it, but if you merely tell it to join
an existing network it does so.

DOS still exists in a similar way as it did in XP. Type
"cmd" to get a DOS prompt. On my machine it deals with long
file names, but it won't see Hidden Files even if you
checked "show hidden files, folders and drives" in "Folder
Options". No more tildes.

The learning curve is not too high once you learn that most
of the housekeeping stuff is now on the "Control Panel".
Everything is now accessible there. The rest of the changes
are fairly obvious and shouldn't take long to get use to.
All in all, I'm getting to like it in spite of the things
that were changed just for the sake of change rather than to
improve things. The setup on my new box went very smoothly
and was easy. The updates were fairly low compared to XP. At
most less than 20, while a recent new install of XP-SP3
required 75 updates. UAC has been toned down compared to
Vista and is much less intrusive.
From: MZB on
pEN:

Does Windows 7 also have something like Windows Explorer, so that I can
search for things, create new folders, etc.?

Mel

From: Pen on
On 4/24/2010 4:38 PM, MZB wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> DOS still exists in a similar way as it did in XP. Type
>> "cmd" to get a DOS prompt. On my machine it deals with long
>> file names, but it won't see Hidden Files even if you
>> checked "show hidden files, folders and drives" in "Folder
>> Options". No more tildes.
>>
>> The learning curve is not too high once you learn that most
>> of the housekeeping stuff is now on the "Control Panel".
>> Everything is now accessible there. The rest of the changes
>> are fairly obvious and shouldn't take long to get use to.
>> All in all, I'm getting to like it in spite of the things
>> that were changed just for the sake of change rather than to
>> improve things. The setup on my new box went very smoothly
>> and was easy. The updates were fairly low compared to XP. At
>> most less than 20, while a recent new install of XP-SP3
>> required 75 updates. UAC has been toned down compared to

Yes, pretty much the same as XP.
From: Michael Arm on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:59:21 -0400, Pen <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote:

>On 4/24/2010 4:38 PM, MZB wrote:
>> pEN:
>>
>> Does Windows 7 also have something like Windows Explorer, so that I can
>> search for things, create new folders, etc.?
>>
>> Mel
>> "Pen" <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in message

>>> I recently replaced my desktop with XP with one using Win7
>>> 64 bit. I was able to install works 4.5a but it was a bit of
>>> a struggle. I got it to work by installing into "Program
>>> Files" after having problems with installs into "Program
>>> Files(x86)", which is where newer stuff seems to want to go.
>>> It seemed to confuse Works. Not unreasonable since Works was
>>> current in Win 95 days. Word 97 should also work as it's a
>>> similar vintage as Works 4.5. 32 bit Win7 doesn't have this
>>> problem so if you have a lot of XP machines and older
>>> software 32 bit Win7 might be a better choice. I have a
>>> netbook with 32 bit starter Win7 and it seems to work ok
>>> even though I liked XP a lot. I'm changing because the
>>> future is Win7 out in the corporate world, so even though
>>> I'm old I'm trying to get with it.
>>>
>>> Networking is another problem. Win7 wants to take charge of
>>> the world if you let it, but if you merely tell it to join
>>> an existing network it does so.
>>>
>>> DOS still exists in a similar way as it did in XP. Type
>>> "cmd" to get a DOS prompt. On my machine it deals with long
>>> file names, but it won't see Hidden Files even if you
>>> checked "show hidden files, folders and drives" in "Folder
>>> Options". No more tildes.
>>>
>>> The learning curve is not too high once you learn that most
>>> of the housekeeping stuff is now on the "Control Panel".
>>> Everything is now accessible there. The rest of the changes
>>> are fairly obvious and shouldn't take long to get use to.
>>> All in all, I'm getting to like it in spite of the things
>>> that were changed just for the sake of change rather than to
>>> improve things. The setup on my new box went very smoothly
>>> and was easy. The updates were fairly low compared to XP. At
>>> most less than 20, while a recent new install of XP-SP3
>>> required 75 updates. UAC has been toned down compared to
>>> Vista and is much less intrusive.
>>

>Yes, pretty much the same as XP.
Rather than worry about MS Works, try Open Office, its free and MS
Office compatatable and will run just fine on XP and Windows 7

Mike