From: David Kaye on
"Victek" <victek(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>As David said Windows 7 is very similar to Vista. One difference is UAC is
>set lower by default in Windows 7 and (if you don't mind more pop-ups) you
>will get better protection if you raise it to "Always Notify".

I'll agree with this as well. Win7 was touted as being the bee's knees, but
it's really an update of Vista, not a rewrite. For most practical purposes it
acts the same as Vista under the hood.

That said, I find that it's a bit more bulletproof than XP, but it depends on
how well XP is set up. If XP is locked down well I don't see that Vista or
Win7 work that much better in regard to malware protection.

From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Victek" <victek(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>As David said Windows 7 is very similar to Vista. One difference is
>>UAC is
>>set lower by default in Windows 7 and (if you don't mind more pop-ups)
>>you
>>will get better protection if you raise it to "Always Notify".
>
> I'll agree with this as well. Win7 was touted as being the bee's
> knees, but
> it's really an update of Vista, not a rewrite. For most practical
> purposes it
> acts the same as Vista under the hood.
>
> That said, I find that it's a bit more bulletproof than XP, but it
> depends on
> how well XP is set up. If XP is locked down well I don't see that
> Vista or
> Win7 work that much better in regard to malware protection.

One big difference is Mandatory Integrity Control.

Anyway, the average user may not notice much difference between XP and
'Vista/Windows 7' except when it 'gets in the way' of something they are
trying to do (I could do this on XP - Vista sucks). The rest of the time
it goes unnoticed while providing extra security. Windows 7 is Vista
with easier (mis)configuration control for the whining masses.