From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Try calling.

Repost:

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

From: Ernst Klamer on
No answer from MS today. I did however find this site:
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=81176 with a possible
solution for some of you.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. It still keeps on restarting 3
times, even in safe mode. But perhaps it works for one of you.

1. Click the windows button, in the search box type
system configuration
2. On the boot tab, check the radio button for safe mode.
3. Apply and OK
4. DO NOT RESTART as requested - click restart later.
5. Go to control panel, system
6. Click on System Protection on the left
7. Uncheck all the drives
8. Confirm you want to turn off system restore.
9. Go to control panel, windows updates
10. View Updates
11. Uncheck all updates except KB935509
12. Install selected updates
13. When it has installed, click the restart message and let the
computer restart.
14. When it restarts, it will restart into safe mode (having first
shown the configuring updates message).
15. Logon to your account
16. Click the windows button and type in System configuration in the
search box again
17. Select boot tab and change it back to where it was (normal)
18. Apply and ok and allow restart by clicking restart button that
comes up.
19. When the computer starts up again it should be in normal mode and
you may get a message that Vista has blocked a start up item (right)
click on the icon below the message and select run blocked startup
item. It is just the system configuration message about having altered
the system configuration.
20. Check the box on the system configuration message to never show
this again (don't worry it will the next time you use system
configuration).
view update history
22. KB935509 should now be showing as successfully installed.
protection and turn on system restore.

24. Post whether this worked for you or not please!

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[original/whole thread for reference:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/68102c148fed7992/daa335bd0f2bc872]

From: Ernst Klamer on
I finally solved the problem. It had something to do with bitlocker,
missing some important files. I don't know why it doesn't want to
install the update but this is the solution that worked for me. You
need a 256 MB USB drive or bigger (temporary).

FIRST, MAKE A BACKUP!!!!

1 To fix Bitlocker, I just configured Bitlocker according to this
site: http://www.ehow.com/how_2101557_trusted-platform-module-tpm-chip.html

2 After the restart, you don't have to turn on Bitlocker. Just leave
it off, install your update and restart. It should then be
successfull.

3 Next thing is to remove the Bitlocker partition (1,5 GB), which has
been created in the first step. I don't want to use it, so I used the
instructions on this site: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1312214&SiteID=17

Note that you cannot add the 1,5 GB to C:, only to D:, if the is
adjacent to the Bitlocker partition. The above solution will move 1,5
GB from C to D. If you don't want that, use another drive partitioning
program, to relocate the free space.

Also note that I had to use the Vista DVD twice in step 3. First to
repair windows, as it "found problems with my computer" and, after a
restart for the second time, to use the option "startup repair". This
is not mentioned on the site in step 3, so it might not be applicable
for everybody.

Good luck.

From: Hermann Landes Hermann on
Same problem but I found another solution. I have a dual disk system, with
vista installed on the second disc; boot manager grub.
After several update failures - install, reboot vista, automatic reboot,
install failure - I choose boot from second disc in BIOS boot menu, so
skipping grub. With this no problems during update procedure were noticed.