From: Charles on
On 4/17/2010 21:49, VanguardLH wrote:
> Andy Siegel wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4? I just installed XP SP3 and
>> ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass). I know we
>> should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.
>>
>> Thank you,
>
> Microsoft doesn't produce service packs for unsupported products.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223
>
> Mainstream support ended 3 days ago. It's dead. All you get now are
> functional updates that are either considered part of security updates or
> can be applied to code branches for their newer and supported versions;
> however, those won't get rolled into a service pack.
>
> When you went to Windows Update, did you first apply just SP-3 (which rolls
> together SP-1, SP-2, and post SP-2 patches)? First install the latest
> service pack, then go check for later updates.
Vanguard MS mainstream support for Windows XP actually ended 1 year and
3 days ago not 3 days ago. April 14, 2009 not 2010 ;) So really 1 year
and 5 days ago now ;)

Charles
From: VanguardLH on
Michael wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Unknown wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> It has absolutely nothing to do with what I would like them to do. It is
>>> your statement "those won't get rolled into a service pack". You seem to
>>> be absolutely sure of that.
>>
>> When was the last time you saw a service pack for Windows 286, 286, 3.x,
>> 95, 98, ME, NT3.5, NT4.0, or Windows 2000? There were updates long after
>> the last service pack. They are mostly security updates. They NEVER got
>> rolled into a service pack. History told me what Microsoft does, as well
>> as every other software vendor regarding what are considered standard
>> practices for unsupported software.
>>
>> So what did you produce a decade ago that you still FULLY support and on
>> what you waste your time that generates you no revenue?
>
> His kids?

Oooh, good one. I didn't think of those money pits.
From: VanguardLH on
Charles wrote:

> On 4/17/2010 21:49, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Andy Siegel wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4? I just installed XP SP3 and
>>> ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass). I know we
>>> should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>
>> Microsoft doesn't produce service packs for unsupported products.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223
>>
>> Mainstream support ended 3 days ago. It's dead. All you get now are
>> functional updates that are either considered part of security updates or
>> can be applied to code branches for their newer and supported versions;
>> however, those won't get rolled into a service pack.
>>
>> When you went to Windows Update, did you first apply just SP-3 (which rolls
>> together SP-1, SP-2, and post SP-2 patches)? First install the latest
>> service pack, then go check for later updates.
> Vanguard MS mainstream support for Windows XP actually ended 1 year and
> 3 days ago not 3 days ago. April 14, 2009 not 2010 ;) So really 1 year
> and 5 days ago now ;)
>
> Charles

Oops, my bad. Since Microsoft hasn't produced a service pack in that year's
time nor for any other product that became unsupported, tis further proof
that there will be no further service packs for Windows XP.
From: Billns on
On 4/16/2010 9:43 AM, Andy Siegel wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4? I just installed XP SP3 and
> ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass). I know we
> should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.
>
> Thank you,

Some would say that MS has already released XP SP4, only they labeled it
Windows 7.

Don't expect any more SP's for XP, although there will be security
updates for XP SP3 through 2014.

Bill
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 21, 6:41 pm, Billns <bil...(a)nsverizon.net> wrote:
> On 4/16/2010 9:43 AM, Andy Siegel wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4?  I just installed XP SP3 and
> > ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass).  I know we
> > should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.
>
> > Thank you,
>
> Some would say that MS has already released XP SP4, only they labeled it
> Windows 7.
>
> Don't expect any more SP's for XP, although there will be security
> updates for XP SP3 through 2014.
>
> Bill

If you would take it that way, Vista SP1 would have been XP SP4, Vista
SP2 would be XP SP4.5 and Windows 7 as XP SP5.