From: Andy Siegel on
Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4? I just installed XP SP3 and
ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass). I know we
should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.

Thank you,
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 16, 5:43 pm, Andy Siegel <AndySie...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4?  I just installed XP SP3 and
> ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass).  I know we
> should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.
>
> Thank you,

It has been widely shown on the Internet that Microsoft is never going
to ever have a SP4. SP3 is the last service pack "grouping" of
changes ever. Microsoft is no longer officially selling Windows XP.
The XP you are still able to buy is the stores are the remaining
"stocks" of XP.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:43:01 -0700, Andy Siegel
<AndySiegel(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4? I just installed XP SP3 and
> ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass). I know we
> should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.

There have been two new versions of Windows since XP (Vista and 7),
and Microsoft no longer sells XP. XP is now obsolescent; it's highly
unlikely that there will be any more service packs for it.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
None, zip, nada.

From: VanguardLH on
Andy Siegel wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4? I just installed XP SP3 and
> ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass). I know we
> should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.
>
> Thank you,

Microsoft doesn't produce service packs for unsupported products.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

Mainstream support ended 3 days ago. It's dead. All you get now are
functional updates that are either considered part of security updates or
can be applied to code branches for their newer and supported versions;
however, those won't get rolled into a service pack.

When you went to Windows Update, did you first apply just SP-3 (which rolls
together SP-1, SP-2, and post SP-2 patches)? First install the latest
service pack, then go check for later updates.