From: Mi Tasol on
On Apr 22, 6:36 am, smlunatick <yves...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 6:41 pm, Billns <bil...(a)nsverizon.net> wrote:
>
> > On 4/16/2010 9:43 AM, Andy Siegel wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4?  I just installed XP SP3 and
> > > ran the Windows Updates and needed 72 updates (on the first pass).  I know we
> > > should go to Win7, but we have a lot of XP out there.
>
> > > Thank you,
>
> > Some would say that MS has already released XP SP4, only they labeled it
> > Windows 7.
>
> > Don't expect any more SP's for XP, although there will be security
> > updates for XP SP3 through 2014.
>
> > Bill
>
> If you would take it that way, Vista SP1 would have been XP SP4, Vista
> SP2 would be XP SP4.5 and Windows 7 as XP SP5.

No -- Vista was Windows Millennium SP3 (both hyped lemons)
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 22, 12:53 am, Mi Tasol <armstrong.mo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 6:36 am, smlunatick <yves...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Some would say that MS has already released XP SP4, only they labeled it
> > > Windows 7.
>
> > > Don't expect any more SP's for XP, although there will be security
> > > updates for XP SP3 through 2014.
>
> > > Bill
>
> > If you would take it that way, Vista SP1 would have been XP SP4, Vista
> > SP2 would be XP SP4.5 and Windows 7 as XP SP5.
>
> No -- Vista was Windows Millennium SP3 (both hyped lemons)

Vista was the direct next level of Windows after XP. It was an
official product and should never be "ignored."

Millennium was a "feeble" attempt from Microsoft and appeared at the
same time as Windows 2000.
From: Twayne on
In news:udfTdnX4KHA.3728(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Billns <billns(a)nsverizon.net> typed:
> On 4/16/2010 9:43 AM, Andy Siegel wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there are plans for XP SP4? I just
>> installed XP SP3 and ran the Windows Updates and needed 72
>> updates (on the first pass). I know we should go to Win7,
>> but we have a lot of XP out there. Thank you,
>
> Some would say that MS has already released XP SP4, only
> they labeled it Windows 7.

No, win7 is the next SP for Vista, not XP.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:33:12 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
<yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 12:53�am, Mi Tasol <armstrong.mo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If you would take it that way, Vista SP1 would have been XP SP4, Vista
> > > SP2 would be XP SP4.5 and Windows 7 as XP SP5.
> >
> > No -- Vista was Windows Millennium SP3 (both hyped lemons)
>
> Vista was the direct next level of Windows after XP. It was an
> official product and should never be "ignored."
>
> Millennium was a "feeble" attempt from Microsoft and appeared at the
> same time as Windows 2000.

Back in those days, Microsoft had two different lines of Windows
operating systems. The NT line was the Professional line and the 1.x,
2.x, 3.x, 9x line was the home user line.

Windows Millennium was the last product in the home user line. Despite
the change of name, it was essentially just the last version of
Windows 98.

Windows 2000 was the first version of the NT (professional) line that
had no number. It followed Windows NT 4.0, and under the hood it was
NT 5.0.

After Windows Millennium, there were no further releases in the home
user line. Everything afterward was in the NT line, which became more
oriented toward *both* professionals and home users. So, under the
hood, Windows XP was NT 5.1, Vista was NT 6.0, and Windows 7 is NT 6.1

Please Reply to the Newsgroup