From: shoutman on

Daave;4657270 Wrote:

> There is one thing you might try before the Clean Install: the
> equivalent of a manual Windows System Restore:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
>
> The good news is you can do this without an XP installation CD.
> However,
> you will need to download the .iso file and create a bootable CD from
> it
> which will contain the Recovery Console. Fortunately, you can find
> such
> a file here:
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig
>
> or here:
>
> http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
>
> Most CD burning programs will allow you to create a CD from an image.
> If
> you don't have one, ImgBurn is a good program:
>
> http://www.imgburn.com/

Did the manual recovery, diidn't work though and its now telling me
windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
\indows\system32\config\system

--
shoutman
shoutman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/146047.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Daave on
shoutman wrote:
> Daave;4657270 Wrote:
>>
>> There is one thing you might try before the Clean Install: the
>> equivalent of a manual Windows System Restore:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
>>
>> The good news is you can do this without an XP installation CD.
>> However,
>> you will need to download the .iso file and create a bootable CD from
>> it
>> which will contain the Recovery Console. Fortunately, you can find
>> such
>> a file here:
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig
>>
>> or here:
>>
>> http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
>>
>> Most CD burning programs will allow you to create a CD from an image.
>> If
>> you don't have one, ImgBurn is a good program:
>>
>> http://www.imgburn.com/
>
> Did the manual recovery, diidn't work though and its now telling me
> windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> \indows\system32\config\system

Sorry to hear that.

Perhaps try the manual System Restore once more, making sure you follow
every instruction to the letter.

If you had a full-fledged Windows XP installation CD, I'd recommend a
Repair Install, but since you don't have one, you might need to start
anew like you said at the beginning of the thread. Sorry I couldn't help
you, shoutman.