From: kraut on

The comfirm was / is checked and makes no difference.

Thanks anyways.

Winzip 14 by the way.

From: Anteaus on
This IS true if the sender sets a password. A total PITA as well, since
unless you run a hex-editor over the file looking for telltale strings you
have no way of knowing what program created the 'zip that isn't a zip' or why
it won't unzip in other progs.

I would recommend 7-Zip or ZipCentral as better, free alternatives.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:19:41 -0800, "ju.c"
<bibidybubidyboop(a)mailinator.com> wrote:

> (WinZIP uses a proprietary algorithm making its zip files
> unreadable in most other archiving programs)

Sorry, but that is *not* correct.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: John H Meyers on
On 2/25/2010 9:28 AM, kraut wrote:

> I am running Winzip under XP and every time I DL a .zip file it opens
> in Winzip instead of just letting me save it. How and where do I find
> setting or whatever to let me just save the .zip files??

"How to stop Internet Explorer from opening downloaded Zip files"
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/69/

Notice that, for Windows 7 or Windows Vista,
they say that the only way they know of
is to directly edit the Registry -- a leap backwards, IMO.

From: John H Meyers on
On 2/26/2010 9:34 AM, Anteaus wrote:

> [Can't open zip?] if the sender sets a password.

Any archive in original Zip format and using "Winzip 2.0" encryption
can be decrypted by XP itself (provided you know the password),
or by almost any other program that understands the Zip format,
which is public, standardized, and compatible with many other tools.

The advanced "AES" encryption may or may not be understood by other tools.

Winzip made its format extensions public, and wanted them accepted
as a standard, but I don't know whether there are any conflicts
between Winzip's and PKware's format and feature extensions, for example.

"Old Password protection"
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/45/

"How strong is WinZip's encryption?"
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/80/

"What is AES Encryption?"
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/109/

"Is WinZip compatible with older versions of WinZip and other Zip file utilities?"
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/36/

"Information about the Zip file format"
http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/49/