From: duckstandard on

kraut wrote:
> This may be the wrong group to ask this and if so I apologize.
>
> I am running Winzip under XP and every time I DL a .zip file it opens
> in Winzip instead of just letting me save it. How and where do I find
> setting or whatever to let me just save the .zip files??
>
> TIA

Do you 'save to disk' or 'open with.'
From: ju.c on
I've received zip files that I could not extract using IZArc, 7-Zip or
WinRAR. In-program test results would be like this:

! file.zip: Unknown method in path\file.ext

I would ask people to re-pack and re-send, but I'd always get the
error.

I solved that by asking for a self extracting archive.

It turns out that they were all created with WinZip.

(PowerArchiver could extract the data just fine)

ju.c

From: Nil on
On 01 Mar 2010, "ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop(a)mailinator.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> I've received zip files that I could not extract using IZArc,
> 7-Zip or WinRAR. In-program test results would be like this:
>
> ! file.zip: Unknown method in path\file.ext
>
> I would ask people to re-pack and re-send, but I'd always get the
> error.
>
> I solved that by asking for a self extracting archive.
>
> It turns out that they were all created with WinZip.
>
> (PowerArchiver could extract the data just fine)

I'm skeptical. There are several possible explainations for the error
message, including poorly-chosen options on the creator's end and setup
problems on your end. I've never heard of anyone else having that
problem, and I certainly haven't. If Winzip's files were incompatible
with other archivers, the problem would be widely known.

From: Toni on
I've been using Winzip for as long as I can remember - probably since it first came out.

I've absolutely never had any problems whatsoever unzipping anything that Winzip is
designed to unzip. Never.

From: Nil on
On 03 Mar 2010, "Toni" <Toni(a)nowhere.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> I've been using Winzip for as long as I can remember - probably
> since it first came out.
>
> I've absolutely never had any problems whatsoever unzipping
> anything that Winzip is designed to unzip. Never.

This guy is claiming the opposite, that archive files that Winzip
creates cannot be opened by other programs.

I don't believe it.