From: Paul on
I have the same problem with Windows XP home, sp3. I have tried to connect 4 cameras, Canon XL-1, Canon GL-2, Sharp, and a Panasonic. I have tried to connect all 4 cameras using 2 differant 6 pin to 4 pin fire wire cables, One of them is brand new. I have also swopped out 1394 PCI cards, and tried with onboard 1394. All cam's worked and were recognized prior to this fresh instalation of Windows XP home, on the same hardware. I can safely say, it is not the cameras, and it is not the cords. It is also highly unlikely that it is a bad firewire card. This is most deffinantly a Windows issue. I have done a lot of research, and I see the same VERY common issue in a lot of posts. Have yet to see one working solution. Any help?

LVTravel wrote:

When I looked on the Dell site for the model specified, it didn't show that
10-Jul-08

When I looked on the Dell site for the model specified, it didn't show that
there was two ports, one front and one rear, only specified one on the
front, or I would have suggested to check both. Glad to find the problem
but sorry you found out it was a bad connection at the port. Hope you get
it fixed by jiggling but it is probably damaged contacts within the port
itself..

Bye!

"Harry Williams" <dramat(a)techie.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, July 03, 2008 12:49 PM
bitterbrus wrote:

Failure To Recognize DV Camera
For a reason unknown to me, I am unable to import digital video from my Sony
DCR-PC9. I connect to my PC from The camera via a Firewire (IEEE1394), 6 pin
to 4 pin. I am using WinXpMedia Edition. Keep getting on-screen message that
the input device cannot be found. Any ideas?

Thanks
--
Against stupidity even the Gods themselves battle in vain.

On Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:11 PM
LVTravel wrote:

Re: Failure To Recognize DV Camera
"King Harry" <bitterbrush(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Lets look at the obvious first. Camera turned on and in playback mode?
Absolutely sure the cable is good and plugged in all the way? Can you see
the Firewire card/adaptor in Device manager under "IEEE 1394 Bus host
controllers" without any error indication (yellow !)?

On Thursday, July 03, 2008 5:40 PM
Harry Williams wrote:

Yes to all you said.
Yes to all you said. There is no error indicator under the IEEE 1394 Bus
host controller. Device manager says device is working properly. Cable is
brand new (Belkin).

-------------------------...A cynic does not read bitter lessons from the
past; he is prematurely disappointed in the future...

"LVTravel" <noone(a)nothere.com> wrote in message

On Friday, July 04, 2008 7:07 AM
Graham Hughes wrote:

Never trust anything a brand new cable can be faulty as can a 10 year old one
Never trust anything a brand new cable can be faulty as can a 10 year old
one which worked yesterday.

You must test all the components with ones you can see working in front of
your eyes, so beg/steal/borrow a cam/pc and cable.

Again, Device manager will tell you if the firewire port is error free in
connection etc, but not error free physically.

http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/CannotCapture.htm

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Harry Williams" <dramat(a)techie.com> wrote in message

On Friday, July 04, 2008 5:20 PM
Harry Williams wrote:

Thank you for all the good info and links.
Thank you for all the good info and links. I'll check everything out and let
you know. BTW, I just updated from SP2 to SP3 and the PC still doesn't
recognize the DV camera.

Interestingly enough, I recently connected my Sony DV camera through an IEEE
1394 device on another PC (running SP2) and everything worked very well. I'm
now 8000 miles away from that PC and the cable I used so I'll have to do the
whole troubleshooting process. Anyway, thanks again.

Harry

--
....A cynic does not read bitter lessons from the past; he is prematurely
disappointed in the future...
"Graham Hughes" <graham.hughes(a)dvds2treasure.co.uk> wrote in message

On Friday, July 04, 2008 10:22 PM
LVTravel wrote:

Hope you get it working.
Hope you get it working. Let us know what you find out and if you still
cannot get it working write back and we will all try to help..

On Tuesday, July 08, 2008 8:13 AM
Harry Williams wrote:

And the saga continues.
And the saga continues. I have a new working Firewire cable and I know the
Sony DVC is operating as I connected it to another PC and the device was
recognized. When I connected the Sony to the IEEE 1394 port on my PC (Dell
XPS 210) it was not recognized. The device does not appear under Imaging
Devices in Device Manager. Under the heading IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller
is shown Texas Instrument OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller with NO
Yellow warning icon. Device Manager says it is working correctly. (I am now
running WinXP Media Edition SP3 but same thing occurred under SP2.) Advice,
please.

--
....A cynic does not read bitter lessons from the past; he is prematurely
disappointed in the future...
"LVTravel" <noone(a)nothere.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:04 PM
LVTravel wrote:

If the camera, cable and host controller are all working, the only thing that
If the camera, cable and host controller are all working, the only thing
that I can think of is that you have a bad physical port on the computer.
While I have never had a Firewire port go bad I have had USB ports have
internal connection problems where if I moved the connector just so, a
connection was made but if I released the connector the connection would be
lost.

Have you tried any other Firewire device in the port? That is your next
step to determine cause. Check around for some device that you can insert to
see if it works. I use Firewire external hard drives for storing my video
files from my laptops so maybe you can find one to test.

"Harry Williams" <dramat(a)techie.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, July 09, 2008 4:53 AM
Harry Williams wrote:

Understand what you said; since the Sony DVC is recognized by another WinXP PC
Understand what you said; since the Sony DVC is recognized by another WinXP
PC when I plug it in I guess I can assume (bad word I know) that the port on
my PC is faulty. Other than to plug in the Sony, I have never used the
Firewire port so I wouldn't have found out that it was faulty.

Thanks

--
"LVTravel" <noone(a)nothere.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, July 09, 2008 4:29 PM
LVTravel wrote:

I am not absolutely sure that is your problem but I would try to plug in a
I am not absolutely sure that is your problem but I would try to plug in a
different known working device.

In looking over your post I see the machine is probably a relatively new
one. Does this machine have Vista on it and is it still under warranty by
Dell (1 year appears to be standard on their web site for this machine)?

If still under warranty I would now call Dell and see what they suggest.

"Harry Williams" <dramat(a)techie.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:56 AM
bitterbrus wrote:

The Sony DVC is a known working device (it works on another PC).
The Sony DVC is a known working device (it works on another PC). I am running
WinXP Media Editon SP3. No Vista on PC. Machine is out-of-warranty (purchased
12/06).
--
Against stupidity even the Gods themselves battle in vain.

"LVTravel" wrote:

On Thursday, July 10, 2008 8:37 AM
Harry Williams wrote:

OK, just discovered that the rear IEEE 1394 port on my PC is working...
OK, just discovered that the rear IEEE 1394 port on my PC is working...front
port is not. Presume bad Firewire connection on front card as the 2 USB
ports on that card are both working well. I'll open the case and
jiggle/re-seat card and see what happens. Thanks for your patience and

....A cynic does not read bitter lessons from the past; he is prematurely
disappointed in the future...

"LVTravel" <noone(a)nothere.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:35 PM
LVTravel wrote:

When I looked on the Dell site for the model specified, it didn't show that
When I looked on the Dell site for the model specified, it didn't show that
there was two ports, one front and one rear, only specified one on the
front, or I would have suggested to check both. Glad to find the problem
but sorry you found out it was a bad connection at the port. Hope you get
it fixed by jiggling but it is probably damaged contacts within the port
itself..

Bye!

"Harry Williams" <dramat(a)techie.com> wrote in message

IIS 7.0 Extensionless UrlRewriting (Short urls)
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6592d2d4-bbf4-4ecd-93df-52898c6aa5d7/iis-70-extensionless-url.aspx